Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the groups folder of the computer management program of XP pro, a bunch of different groups are listed, including "Power User". If I go to control panel's User Accounts, I only have the choice of Administrator or Limited. I added one user to the power user group, and then in control panel user accounts it says "Unknown Account Type" and I think that it acts the same as limited. Is this because my hard drive is formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS?
I ask this because I usually use the administrator account and Windows help file says:
Running Windows 2000 or Windows XP as an administrator makes the system vulnerable to Trojan horses and other security risks. The simple act of visiting an Internet site can be extremely damaging to the system. An unfamiliar Internet site may have Trojan horse code that can be downloaded to the system and executed. If you are logged on with administrator privileges, a Trojan horse could do things like reformat your hard drive, delete all your files, create a new user account with administrative access, and so on.

I have a firewall and a virus scanner. Am I really at such a greater risk because I log on as administrator?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Go to Start > Run, and type:
lusrmgr.msc

You will see Users and Groups. Look at the groups and read the descriptions. Then, open the Users folder and double-click the user whose group membership you want to change.

Make yourself a Power User if you want (this must be done from the Admin account).

Any user can be made a member of any group.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
I assume that Dan O's take on this is involved. You are not a member of a domain.

Microsoft recommends that you not use the Admin account except when necessary. Trojans have free reign from within such an account.

But I just created an account with Power User privileges and it seemd to work, though I did not test it thoroughly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.