Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Apple Macbook with the Tiger OS and have previously configured a D-Link router for wireless access. The router was cofigured when I was using a cable internet connection, so the cable modem was between the router and the cable connection.

I now have a direct network connection through my university (i.e., no cable or DSL modem). I have been unable to get the wired or wireless internet connection to work with the router. I can connect my Mackbook directly to the ethernet network connection and get access to the internet. However, when I try to connect the router between the computer and the direct network connection, the internet won't work.

As you can guess I am not a computer wiz and am a novice using wireless routers. Can anyone advise me on how to successfully connect my wireless router between my direct network connection and the Mackbook? Also, if there is a better section of the forum where I should be posting this thread, please let me know that. Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm a PC person myself, but I do have a suggestion as to what the problem might be. The problem could be that your router IP address and the University's IP, might be the same. What you need to do is to change your router's IP to....well something else.

I have a Linksys router and that is what happened to me. The Linksys's default IP is 192.168.1.1 and my DSL provider's IP is the same thing, so I had to change my router's IP. To get into it, you need to open up a browser window and in the address field type in the router's IP if you know it. If you don't know it, you could go to D-Link's site and see if you can find it or the manual if you have it. If not, try IP above.

When you put in the correct IP address, it will ask for your username and password. Then after you enter it in then you'll be able to change your router's IP. I don't know that this is the problem, but it's certainly possible that it could be.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I have no idea how to get this information on a MAC, but what we need is the output of an IPCONFIG /ALL on a PC using the university's connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have previously been in the PC world, so am not really sure where to find the equivalent information on a Mac that presents with ipconfig/all on a PC.

But, here's what I have found looking under System Preferences/Network on the Macbook:

Built-in Ethernet

Then under TCP/IP:

IP Address: 129.81.87.242
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.192
Router: 129.81.87.193
Ethernet Address: 00:19:e3:40:d9:3a

Is there any other ionformation you need? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.