Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've been scouring the newsgroups for answers to the following problem and have tried everything suggested to no avail...

My USB 2.0 Pen Drive was working fine until yesterday. It now shows as unknown device and windows reports that it may not function correctly. It doesn't work at all!

However, I took it to work with me and (on a USB 1.1 PC) it worked well.

When I returned home, I tried again in my PC to no avail. I then tried uninstalling Root Hubs and Controllers and the like from Device Manager as suggested in many newsgroups and the thing sprang back into life. However, as soon as the
Enhanced USB driver is detected, the pen drive vanishes and the 'unknown device' returns.

I've been into safe mode, I've tried to delete the 'VID keys' from the USB section of the registry (which won't delete even though I log in as the administrator) and I've removed all USB devices and then uninstalled all hubs from Devce Manager and let them reinstall themselves.

I now have my Pen Drive working in (I assume) 1.1 mode by means of 'disabling' the 'enhanced host controller'. As soon as it is re-enabled I lose my Pen Drive and return to 'Unknown Device'.

XP says that my 'Enhanced Controller' has no problems.

Please help - everything was fine on Monday and a restore does no good at all. Why can I not delete the VID keys?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It sounds like a driver issue to me.

Are your USB2 ports "on-board" on from a PCI card?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
it sounds like the wrong driver to me also check the sis site they are pretty good at releasing updated drivers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.