Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my computer came with 2 usb plug in spots problem is THEY DONT WORK! My dad but me a scanner/printer/copier as a wedding gift but the stupid thing does not get recognized. IT is not just the printer same with my digital camera I have to use the parallel cord as the usb one isnt recgnized. Any help appreciated but if you need techy info and all that fun stuff you must tell me where to look to get the info you need.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
you need to give us more information than you have. We need to know what brand/model computer, what OS you are using, all the good system information please!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brand would be hewlett packard I assume as that is what it says on the case. Where would I find the model number? I am using Windows98SE. What other info do you need? I have no clue what info you need or where to find it on my computer.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Let us go this way then. Have the USB ports been working in the past?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as I have owned this computer they have not worked. I looked in the device manager and there are 2 things lister under the USB Title. They are.....

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open House Controller and USB Root Hub I clicked on properties and the disable box is UN checked.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
delete them from the device manager,and click on the monitor icon at the top to scan for hardware changes and let windows reinstall them

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have already done that. I contacted HP Support a month ago vie their online chat help as they are the ones who make my scanner/printer/copier and they had me do that. I then gave up on talking to them as they were too slow responding after half an hour we got as far as click on the device manager tab. Not lying!!! So that is as far as I got with them.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a HP and the front port never worked from the day I bought it...I gave up on telephone support... it was getting me no where...

Just a coincidence that I mentioned it to a repair guy who took a look and found out that it was not connected inside the case...he connected it for me and no problems since..he'd seen this problem before with HP...

Maybe someone can give you instructions how to check the connection...unless you are still under warranty then get HP to come and fix it...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm with Chalky on this one. I have seen many computers that didn't have the front ports connected.

If by chance they are rear ports, are they on a PCI card or on-board with the motherboard?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THe computer is not under warranty as my husband bought it 2 or 3 years ago out of the pennysaver (classifieds). The USB plus are on the backof my computer. I did take my computer apart to see if maybe it had come loose but there is no card there where they are there is a box blocking my access so I assume the USB ispart of the motherboard then since I could not access a card to push in to the slot.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Here is a thought. Enter the bios set up and look under onboard peripherals and see if the usb ports are enabled or disabled. If they are disabled enable them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have tried to look in the BIOS as that is where m mother in law told me to check and I could not find anything saying USB in the Bios. Maybe I am blind Where would I find it? as you an tell I have been rying to fix this problem for some time now lol

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Try looking under Integrated Peripherals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i remeber when i built my computer the usb connectors were fiddley and took ages to put in that could b ur problem they may look connected to ur mobo but not fully pushed in!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked the BIOS again and there was nothing for USB. Just another piece of info I found out about my computer now the bios is pheonix bios 2.0 someother word (changed to quick to check) 6.0.6

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Possibly Ver. 6.0.6 or revision 6.0.6?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by Kandy201:
I have tried to look in the BIOS as that is where m mother in law told me to check and I could not find anything saying USB in the Bios. Maybe I am blind Where would I find it? as you an tell I have been rying to fix this problem for some time now lol
Did you go into Control Panel...System...Device Manager... click the plus sign on USB Controllers...right click the devices that open...then properties..to see if the disable is unchecked...

see attached jpg.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.