Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a huge problem.........................!

Now before i went on holiday i had to clean my Digital Camera out.When i plugged it into one of my usb ports i got the following error 'USB device not recognized one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognized'.The camera has worked hundreds of times before and it NEVER came with a cd to install.It comes up as a removable disk therefore no software was required.And it wasnt only my camera! My flash drive has the exact same error so does my printer ( rules out faulty hardware).Ive also tried all 6 ports on my pc and get the same error. Thinking it HAD to be a corrupt system a done a complete format and clean install with Xp Pro Service Pack 2.All usb drivers installed i plugged in my camera and BANG same error!!!!

Its not drivers...
Its not software....
It must be hardware related...

Is it possible all my usb ports have been fried? they are still there in Device Manager but three of them are unknown devices.we did have a lightning hit very close to the time of the problem starting but surely the mobo wouldve gone aswell

I am completely finished with ideas...

WHAT I HAVE Done.... :
1.Installed usb drivers plenty times over.
2.Reinstalled printer software etc to see if it helps.
3.REFORMATTED windows xp...
4.Tried unplugging power from the moboard (suggested on a site) an
and even unplug jumpers all to no avail.
5.Ive tried deleting the usb in device manager and all it does is pick up the
ports etc and problems over again
6.IRQ..... i read about this somewhere but didnt wanna fiddle?

So basically eliminate software or drivers.... im stumped???

PLEASE HELP :(

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
If you have installed the mobo drivers, and I feel certain you did and just failed to mention it, this really feels like the lightening did do some damage. Did you lose anyting else to the lightening? You may just have a dying motherboard. have you looked at capacitors to see any oozing or bulging?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes its the simple things that go wrong. Make sure that you have chosen the "PC" or "USB" connection type in your camera's setup menu.

This one has had me pulling hair out for an hour, only to have I'd find out I made a change in that setting for some obscure reseason.

Good Luck

By the way, most camera manuals recommend formatting the memory card in the camera, not via the computer. If you just need to wipe the camera memory, do a simple format in the camera. If you're trying to get pictures out, check and double check my suggestion above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.... its not only the camera.its printer and flash drive...thats why i said i have eliminated the fault to hardware.

ive clean installed windows twice now to no avail.installed service pack 2.and all mobo drivers. last thing i can do i flash bios and also remove cmos battery and placing back in (suggested by other forum)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.