Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to design a USB switch and you were gawd, you'd want:

Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to router
Four high speed 2.0 USB connections
It's own processor (don't slow down the system!)
Bi-directional

Well, there's one out there these days, and you can get it for a good price if you hunt long enough..

Lexmark Marknet N2070E Gigabit USB Network Switch

The "standard" pricing is around $325, but if you look, you can find some deals. I just picked one up on Ebay for $125. Another store was selling a Lexmark printer for $215 that INCLUDED a N2070E in the box..

This will allow you to run some of those USB gadgets and make them available to all the computers on your network (but only one person can use a peripheral at a time).

I have two Dymo label printers, one for BIG 4x6 labels, and the other is a dual where I have smaller 2x4 labels and postage labels. Also a Fujitsu SnapScan scanner..

It sets up easily and runs as advertised. If you've been looking for a way to share your USB devices, here's a shot for you..

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Belkin has been selling a USB network hub for some time, I have one here. It's not gigabit, but works fine for stuff like printers and scanners. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Belkin

Cool.. I looked over at the Belkin site, and all the switches were USB to USB, not USB to Ethernet so you could hook into a router or switch.. But if you found it, it's worth it's weight in gold.

The thing I like about the Lexmark is that it's future-proof.. ready for IPV6, has a webserver built it so you can change settings with a browser, the 480MB 2.0 USB speed, the Gigabit Ethernet speed.. it's just kind of a wet dream switch..

There's also a brand called Keyspan that makes a USB1.1/Ethernet 100 switch for $100-$125.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.