Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Joystick, but my computer doesn't put out enough volts. If I get a USB Port will that help? Also whats there price range, where does it go?... Tell me everything.:( :(

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
whats the USB for? do as max says...

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
The joystick is supposed to connect to your sound card. You can't connect it to your USB port.

How do you know your sound card doesn't have enough power? I've never heard of that happening. If the joystick doesn't work connected to your game port, then maybe the joystick is broken and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
settle down there buddy...

Originally posted by Codemaster
Plugged it into the only 15port left
what do you mean the only one left? you should only have one. (ok, two if you have an aftermarket soundcard in there, but only one of them will work... onboard will be disabled)

hummm... are you plugging it in to the right one? Do you use a PCI soundcard or an onboard one? If you use PCI, then you have to plug it into that one, not into the onboard. It will be disabled.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
have you added anything to your computer since you got it, say a sound card perhaps? Are you plugging the joystick into a plug that is horizontal on the bottom of the back of your computer, or vertical up near the PS/2 mouse and serials, ect? I know this is rare, but I have to suggest it... the joystick could be defective. Is the plug you plug into near the audio jacks? Go into your control panel and check the device manager. Check to make sure the drivers for the gameport and joystick are there and are ok. Make sure the device wasn't disabled.

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
Look at the back of your computer for small round holes that look like headphone jacks. Your speakers are probably plugged into one of them. Right next to/on top of those holes is a port that the joystick plugs into.

Perhaps you're confusing the game port with COM ports. They look similar, but you will only have one game port. Do you have other game devices such as a game pad?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok. I have a RaiderPro Joystick. I install it how it says, but it says it's not connected. I have a Pentium with about 22 megs of ram. I am running windows 98. Anything else?

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
After you connected it, did you reboot? It should automatically be detected. Have you tried using it to see if it works or not?

To get to Device Manager, right-click My Computer, and click Properties. Then click the Device Manager tab.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Check your device manager and see if you have a driver for a gameport and/or joystick emulation. If you really are plugging into the gamport but you don't have the driver, then nothing is monitering the gameport to see if you have anything connected when it tried to use it. (thus the gameport isn't connected to the OS)

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Go to Control Panel/System and click the Device Manager tab. Look down at the bottom and click the + on Sound, Video and Game Controlers. Under the drop down you should see X brand Game Port (X should say the manufacture of your sound card.) and should also say X brand Joystick Emulation. If you don't have both of those, than you need to install those drivers (from your sc installation disc or sc website) to get your new joystick to work.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok. I did that. Heres everything thats listed under it:

C-Media Softmidi Driver
DOS Mode MPU-401 Emulator
External Midi (Mpu401) device
Joystick Device
SB16 Audio Device
Windows Souns System (WSS) Device.

Ok now what?