Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a notebook from dell (inspirion 5160). everything works fine except the dell memory key (128mb) i bought with my notebook. it works fine in my notebook, however, when i plug it into my desktop (not a dell) it causes my computer to restart. it seems to work well in other desktops that i have tried it on (some dell, some not). i have tried uninstalling my usb drivers through the device manager but my computer still restarts. by the way, we replaced our motherboard and processor the week before christmas.
new specs: motherboard-MSI K8T Neo series, AMD Sempron 3100+ Socket 754, 512 DDR, running win xp pro.
i have spent a lot of time on the phone with dell, but to no avail. they had me download a patch, but it didn't work. obviously, they aren't supposed to help with anything not purchased from them, but they tried to help me since i bought the memory key from them. also, i have tried each of my usb ports and got the same result. my brother has an older memory key that he bought from dell that worked fine in my computer. i think his and mine were made by different companies though. is there anything that i can do to be able to use my memory key with my desktop?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Mikey,

Welcome to the Playground....er, I mean Forum.

When you installed the new MOBO and Processor in your desktop,did you install the NEW drivers for the MOBO???

If not, that could be the source of your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for trying to help me.
the only updates that were downloaded were the recommended ones from the msi website. i have been searching other sites to find out if anyone else has a similar problem. so far i am out of luck. what do you mean the NEW drivers for the motherboard?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Mikey,

When you acquired the new MOBO, it should have come with a Disk containing the Drivers for the MOBO. You should have installed them with the MOBO. Can't imagine that you could install UPDATES without the base Drivers???? After DOWNLOADING, did you actually run the install programs?

If the new Drivers weren't loaded, then the old board's Drivers are being used with the new board...results may be unpredictable.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The drivers in 2K/XP sometimes get confused, and this may happen. Try this:

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks johnwill.
i tried what you suggested, but my computer still restarts when i plug in my memory key. i did find the disks that came with the mobo but everything seems to be installed correctly. another observation: when i use my brothers memory key everything works fine. the task bar bubble says it recognizes his memory key and gives a few specs about it. when i use my memory key the bubble just reads "found new hardware" "disk drive" only. any other suggestions?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Did you check in Disk Management and try to Initialize and Format the USB drive?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Memory key? USB drive? Aren't they the same thing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the memory key is what you plug into the computer and the usb drive is the specific driver that recognizes the new hardware. my technical language could be lacking though.
i took my computer to the store where i bought the mobo. they told me they were almost positive the problem is with the usb drive but they were not sure which one yet. they told me that reinstalling windows xp should fix the problem. my only other option would be to let them keep it until they hear from dell about which driver is not working. does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this new info?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
XP comes with USB drivers, but a USB Drive is pretty universally the little FLASH device you plug in. Many folks use the terms Memory Key and USB Drive interchangably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys for clearing this up. does anyone know if reinstalling windows xp will solve my problem? is there any special way that i need to go about doing it? to answer an earlier question, i tried formatting my memory key but that still did not solve my problem. any thoughts?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If it's a Windows configuration issue, the answer is yes. However, if it's some incompatibility with your software, the answer is no.

I'd take an image of the current system with something like Norton GHOST, and then wipe it out and install. If it doesn't work, restore the image.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what/how do i take the image of the current system? is norton ghost a part of my norton system works 2004 (i have never heard of norton ghost)? if so, how/what do i wipe out and install? what does restore the image mean? i know, lots of questions, but this is all new to me. thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If you have Systemworks Pro, GHOST comes with it.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I was blind-sided. :D I have to change my tagline to include instructions how to use Google search. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.