Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel like my laptop is falling apart. It's only a year old t43p IBM. Runs great except has stupid little problems, like now-

If i unplug my usb mouse and plug it back in, the laptop restarts, and then upon restart i get a message how the usb hub has exceeded power limit. This makes no sense - this mouse is the only thing connected to the laptop.

Also the mouse (it is an optical wired mouse) loses its red signal as if its not working anymore. Sometimes it goes back on if i unplug it and put it back in - but sometimes it doesnnt go back on at all. Is this a problem with these kind of mice?

please help!!!!

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Although it could be a problem with the laptop, you definitely want to try another mouse. In the mean time try some other USB device with the laptop and see if it works.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm wondering if your motherboard may be on the brink of failure...Or it could be power related.

Would you consider a powered USB hub to take the load off the motherboard?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Or just use a PS2 mouse?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
jackdw said:
Or just use a PS2 mouse?
I'm guessing that a year old laptop doesn't have PS/2 ports. Most dropped them several years ago for USB only.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
JohnWill said:
I'm guessing that a year old laptop doesn't have PS/2 ports. Most dropped them several years ago for USB only.
Did they? They're not that big so I thought they would have stayed anyway.

Hmm, I'm a desktop guy, I know it.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
My guess is the USB port could have ben damaged before by overdrawing of electrical power. ALthough a USB port is supposed to provide 0.5A current but many manufacturers may not have implemented it fully.

My office new laptop developed a reliability problem in the USB port after I used the hard-disk type MP3 player to draw the rated power. When I took it to IT the supplier replaced the mobo.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sphinx said:
i feel like my laptop is falling apart. It's only a year old t43p IBM. Runs great except has stupid little problems, like now-

If i unplug my usb mouse and plug it back in, the laptop restarts, and then upon restart i get a message how the usb hub has exceeded power limit. This makes no sense - this mouse is the only thing connected to the laptop.

Also the mouse (it is an optical wired mouse) loses its red signal as if its not working anymore. Sometimes it goes back on if i unplug it and put it back in - but sometimes it doesnnt go back on at all. Is this a problem with these kind of mice?

please help!!!!
The first part about restarting and overload may signal a failing
port.

For the second part of LED being unlit I've had similar behavior
on a desktop through a powered hub.

Sometimes it would relight as yours with a replug, sometimes it would only
relight after plugging an unused usb optical mouse in (which
is unused because of seeming button failure) and finding new hardware,
then unplugging bad mouse and plugging in good. Later only a
reboot would relight.

Lastly it wouldn't go after reboots. I found

Goto Control Panel -> System -> Hardware (tab) -> Device Manager

see if your USB is still listed and if it has been flagged.

If it is flagged it might have lost the driver for it.

Mine is flagged, I haven't cured or even fully diagnosed it yet
(using ps2 mouse).
It might just need drivers reinstally from motherboard cd.
I've also read where Windows would start misloading USB
drivers and stuff out of order, especially with USB2, and then
some USB would not function.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.