Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that any USB cable (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, High Speed, Full Speed, Shielded... etc) can be used to connect any USB device to a PC. It is also my understanding that the quality of the wires and the construction of the cable itself can vary significantly and that this may have an impact on the performance of the device.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is my understanding as described above correct? If not what is the truth about USB cables?

2. Is there a way of visually determing the type and quality of a cable? If not is there some other way of determing the type and quality of a cable?

I have a box full of USB cables, collected over the years, but have no idea what USB version they are or the quality of the cable. The only cables which are visually different are shielded and unshielded. The others all look the same to me.

TiA

T.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Trial and error is pretty much your guide here; a cheap cable can perform better than an expensive one, but you're unlikely to notice the difference on most sytems since the cheap USB chipsets used tend to be the bottle neck in terms of maximum sustained transfer rate, rather than the cable. If you've got shielded cables, then use them, but again you probably won't notice the difference unless you're working in an area with lots of stray electro-magnetic radiation.

More expensive cables will tend to be more robust with better strain relief at the terminals, but that's about it.

Slàinte

midders

·
Super Moderator
74,147 Posts
See if there are any molded or printed markings along the length of the cable. If the cable is not marked or is marked but does not say "High-Speed" or "USB 2.0" on it, you might want to be safe and assume it is USB 1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.