Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had to do a clean install on my OS due to another problem discussed in one of other threads.

Anyway, when upgrading from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Pro earliler this week, everything seemed to work fine and all the program icons I had from Windows XP Home appeared on the XP Pro desktop. However, my Internet Broadband/Dial-Up connection dissapeared from 'Network Connections' and I therefore could not connect to the internet, even though the ISP ('BT Broadband' - I'm based in the UK in case you wonder who BT are) icon remained on my desktop and their software appeared in Programs.

When I contacted my ISP they claimed this is a problem with Windows XP upgrade to Pro and I should contact Microsoft Support. Is this true ????

Anyway, I've had to resort to doing a clean install of Windows XP Home again now in order to get back on the internet with my Broadband internet and installing my ISP's USM Modem software all over again. It worked, but still want to upgrade to XP Pro.

Any ideas on how this 'problem' can be resovled. Don't want to have to do a clean install again and again. Also, is It this a common problem with upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Windows XP Home as my ISP claim ???? PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would upgrade, and then contact your ISP, and leave out the bit about upgrading. The excuse they gave you sounds like bull, but I could be wrong. The software should install fine under Pro just fine, and your internet should function all the same.
Call them back and give em hell.

·
Banned
60 Posts
wavey-davey said:
Recently had to do a clean install on my OS due to another problem discussed in one of other threads.

Anyway, when upgrading from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Pro earliler this week, everything seemed to work fine and all the program icons I had from Windows XP Home appeared on the XP Pro desktop. However, my Internet Broadband/Dial-Up connection dissapeared from 'Network Connections' and I therefore could not connect to the internet, even though the ISP ('BT Broadband' - I'm based in the UK in case you wonder who BT are) icon remained on my desktop and their software appeared in Programs.

When I contacted my ISP they claimed this is a problem with Windows XP upgrade to Pro and I should contact Microsoft Support. Is this true ????

Anyway, I've had to resort to doing a clean install of Windows XP Home again now in order to get back on the internet with my Broadband internet and installing my ISP's USM Modem software all over again. It worked, but still want to upgrade to XP Pro.

Any ideas on how this 'problem' can be resovled. Don't want to have to do a clean install again and again. Also, is It this a common problem with upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Windows XP Home as my ISP claim ???? PLEASE HELP
Wasn't that OBVIOUS if your a 1 home user ? i am still sorting things out and decideing on going XP Home.

·
Banned
60 Posts
It's not that simple,are you sure you know how ?
I have looked and after 15 years of installing Windows 3,95,98 and me
and now
XP pro and i'm not sure how.
:confused:
Are you ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
abadaba said:
It's not that simple,are you sure you know how ?
I have looked and after 15 years of installing Windows 3,95,98 and me
and now
XP pro and i'm not sure how.
:confused:
Are you ?
On second though, ignore me. I have no personal experience with this.
But I would install XP home, and then upgrade the clean install to Pro. Then start installing things.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Either you seek help or you don't.Why not just install XP pro in the first place.?
Did you actually buy both ????
:down:

·
Banned
2,355 Posts
Is it an OEM base install with XP Home? Have you tried running the upgrade before adding the British Telecom software?

You shouldn't have to update before you upgrade. Upgrade first, then add the BT software and then finish off the updating.

If your base install is not OEM, I wonder if you can install straight from the upgrade CD and just use the original CD as proof of having an MS OS.

Does the upgrade CD have Service Pack Two?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.