Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

My Dad just bought a laptop and I got his old PC. It's a Dell Dimension XPS t600r
P3, 386MB RAM, 650mhz, 10gb HD, 64/32mb video, CD-RW, CD-ROM

Is it possible to upgrade the processor chip on this? How do I find out the chipset of this computer?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
43,959 Posts
The highest processor you can possibly go to is Pentium III 1.2Ghz.

What OS are you planning to have or have right now?

If you are planning to get HL2, Doom3 and the like, you may have to do the whole machine.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I'm sure by design, Dell's usually don't upgrade very far. Look for a service tag on the back of your machine and go to the Dell site for info about your system. The forum there can also be useful for this topic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has WinXP on it it right now.

Really its pretty good everywhere except the processor. Its got more RAM then my brothers computer which I also use too.

I'm not planning any high end games like HL2 but I would like it to be compatible with some of the less straining games.

·
Super Moderator
43,959 Posts
Well time will tell guys :D Why do you think my old machine is R.I.P? :D

I'm not saying you can't run WinXP on 256Mb, just that you will see some noticable difference with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well of course it would run better, but it's still extremely usable on 256mb. I can't really see how much faster it could be. The only thing my computer(s) slow down for is big games and multiple programs all loading at once.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The official minimum for windows xp is 128MB... my recommendation for it is, like Tidus4Yuna said, 512MB

If you are running it on 64MB then you will be amazed how fast it will run when it has just 256 to work with.

But yes, you are better off starting over from scratch, although if you dont want to do that, a good pentium 3 isn't bad either.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Not in your current PC... I dont think the socket type is right, is it?
That is a processor, not a chipset.

If you want a new graphics card you have to know what type of slots your motherboard has, AGP, PCI, PCI-express. Im guessing it just has PCI, maybe AGP if your lucky.

·
Super Moderator
43,959 Posts
That's correct. It's the CPU. The socket (Socket A for example) for the CPU is different to the one you have now. I was only speculating if you were to build a new one.

As for the graphics... You may get away with AGP 4x. If not then you can go for a PCI card. (don't get confused with the new PCIex card)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.