Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got ancy and went to Wal-Mart and got an Asylum GeforceFX 5200 128MB (recommended by eMachines) $100 (ouch)
I'll be returning this card of course..

I knew I could find one cheaper, but I kept hearing how the Ti4200 is a better card, even though it doesn't have DX9.

So today I won a auction for a XFX Ti4200 128MB 8x (I have 4x AGP)
for...$68 (w/ship)!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2796966939
Hopefully my picky system (the one that won't accept an ATI Anything) will accept the Ti series card. Good move...right?

Anyway, will I have any conflicts installing a card that supprts DX8 when I have DX9 currently installed?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
No problems ... DX9 incorporates previous Dx's and adds new features. Basically the new features in DX ( like pixel shager ) will be " disabled" once the card will be installed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, much appreciated active.
I think I'll be happy with the change, I just want a good card, w/out a lot of hassle..and be able to run Halo at a respectable speed.
..which card so you think is best for, say, SplinterCell? (or other relatively new game)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well unfortunately there are 2 options.
1. Play the game
2. Enjoy the beauty of the game.
For option 1, most of the new video cards will do ( you need to "cut" most of the bells and whistle from the video options, but you can play it
For option 2, you'll need "muscle". You'll need a video card able to process Pixel Shader 2.0 and a whole other sleuth of things. In this category you'll need to think ATI 9600 XT and up, GeforceFX 5700 and up. With the top end as in ATI 9800 ( 256 megs) and Geforce FX 5900 you will enjoy the game in all the "splendor".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understood, thanks.
I'm looking for most bang for the buck, and most the reviews I found hold the Ti4200 in high regard for the money against the 5200 and lower ATI 9xxx cards (my system rejects ATI cards anyway):(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.