Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am working on a desktop with an ASUS A7A133 motherboard. After checking that it can support an Athlon XP 2600+ 266FSB, I replaced an older Athlon CPU with that. However, due to inexperience, I fogot to update the BIOS before replacing the CPU (a newer BIOS version supports the later CPU). Thus, the computer will only show the BIOS setting screen (which I can change setting and stuff, but the computer will not load after I quit that).

I want to know if it is possible to update the BIOS with the incompitable CPU, so that I don't have to revert the CPUs back and forth.

And if I do have to revert the CPU, do I need to clean the CPU surface first before reapplying another layer of thermal spread? Thanks.

· Premium Member
52,999 Posts
First Name -
Rob
Well if you can't go any further then the BIOS then it would be extremely wise to put the old processor back in and update the BIOS first. Updating the BIOS can be risky enough without the worry of a problem occurring due to using an unsupported processor.

You should clean off and reapply the paste, it really does make a difference to keeping the processor running cooler if its done right.

· Registered
559 Posts
I suggest you follow Triple6's advice to be on the safe side - you don't want to catch yourself in a situation where you've trashed the bios.....it's really not a pretty scenario...

Happy holidays...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.