Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I placed this question in the proper place.
I'm using Windows Vista 64 bit as my operating system, IE8.

I'm using an external hard disk (75 GB) only as a backup receiver for my computer.
For some reason along the line in the past, I formed a partition on that external hard disk.
Drive "J" contains nothing (37 GB) and drive "K" contains my active files back up, also (37 GB) or there abouts.

I'm trying to de-partition that external hard disk making "K" a full 75 GB.
I can get as far as removing the "J" partition but that space remains unallocated and my "K" remains the same partitioned (37 GB) size.
How do I combine those two areas making "K" the full 75 GB.
Many Thanks,
Lee

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You can expand the remaining partition to include the unallocated space. Except, I think that the unallocated space has to be after ("to the right") of the partition. You may have to also delete the "K" partition and then create a new 75 GB partition.

If the above is the situation and the data is an issue you could recreate the J partition, copy the files from K to J, delete the K partition, and then expand the J partition to use all the space. I understand that the data is not your only copy; it is a copy of data on your main hard drive.

There are other people who post here who have much more experience and knowledge of partitioning than I do, so you will want to wait at least a day to see if you get better advice.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
If the above is the situation and the data is an issue you could recreate the J partition, copy the files from K to J, delete the K partition, and then expand the J partition to use all the space. I understand that the data is not your only copy; it is a copy of data on your main hard drive.
This is what I would do. After you are done, you can change the drive letter from J back to K if needed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can extend the partition in vista in Disk management.

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select "Extend Volume" from the menu.

On this screen, you can specify the amount that you want to increase the partition by. In this case,note that the extend partition feature only works with contiguous space.

You can then change the drive letter.

Or you can use:

http://download.cnet.com/GParted-LiveCD/3000-2094_4-10698802.html?tag=mncol

Please read the instructions very carefully.

JB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.