Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Although I have spent a lot of time researching my problem on forums and through search engines I really couldn't find a relevant/understandable answer :(

when I boot up my computer I get a blue screen right after the win XP black loading page that states "unmountable_boot_volume, stop: 0x000000ED ( 0x87124C08, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This happened right after i stupidly force-turned off my computer. From what I've read this seems to be a very common problem, and there are instructions on the MS website on how to solve it.

The thing is I can't repair XP from the XP CD as it is usually suggested, because I don't have this "repair" option. My recovery console just won't load and the same blue screen keeps showing up.

Do you think you guys can help me ? That would be very very nice of you! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mumbodog, thanks for the quick reply :)

so you think "repairing" win XP wouldn't help? it's a hardware problem? still, why, can't I get a command prompt from the recovery console?

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
"unmountable_boot_volume, stop: 0x000000ED ( 0x87124C08, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
No way to repair XP if the hard drive (boot volume) cannot be mounted, this is why there is no command prompt, as far as windows is concerned there is no hard drive (well at least one that can be used by windows)

Did you read the MS article I posted.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Hi Mumbodog, thanks for the quick reply :)

so you think "repairing" win XP wouldn't help? it's a hardware problem? still, why, can't I get a command prompt from the recovery console?
Is your disk a bootable cd and have you set the bios to boot to cd or dvd drive as 1st or second drive before the hard drive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mumbodog, I have indeed read the MS article you posted but as I'm not too used to manipulating my computer's hardware, I just wanted to try all other possible options first.

what's more i've come across the XP CD repair solution a hundred times (and in several languages) when researching this unmoutable boot volume thing (example below)

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2605/fixing_the_dreaded_unmountable_boot_volume_error/

this is why i was kinda hoping i wouldn't have to dismantle my laptop in order to fix it. But oh well, if it can't be helped... thank you again :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you can get to the R recovery at dos prompt type fixmbr then try installing again. Or if you have any recovery format programs write O's to the HD then retry. At this point you have nothing to loose. It's already lost. If you have a 2th HD disconnect it. You can download disk checking programs from the Mfg web sites

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.