Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I messed up my XP settings, so i tried to reinstall it. I didn't know I was partitioning it however, so I'm stuck with 2 XPs. When I tried to uninstall it said "You have already partitioned your hard drive" or something like that and now the uninstall icon is gone and I'm stuck with 2 XPs. Is there any other way to uninstall them safely, and if not, where can I get a good hard drive formatter program? ( Preferably Free )
Thanks

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
if you upgraded then you had the option to save uninstall settings to your HD to restore to your previous state. It seems you did a clean install so unless you have anything you care about on the HD right now, then reformat it using something like FDISK if you don't have the software from your HD to do so. Reformat and start over.

·
Registered
135 Posts
too many formatting problems with fdisk when trying to format NTFS partitions. Even NT/2000/XP partitions that are FAT32 have problems with FDISK. Kill HDD is the no ifs, ands about it, by far the best formatting utility. No hassle, no worrying. Good day

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
wow I just looked out my window and the northern lights are incredible! (if you so care)

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
sorry I missed the part about your link to kill hdd. download that. I also thought you were using FAT32. FDISK is even worse for NTFS.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
If you can't boot off the xp cd press f10 I beleive and remove the partitions that way I would download the low level format utility from the hard drive manufacturer.

Note: Do not low level format drives connected to controller cards aka promise, not adviseable, better to connect the drive to the standard ide and then low level format it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.