Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my computer..
New mainboard, processor, and hard drive..
I was hoping to get a motherboard and processor combo. in the 1.2Ghz range and a 40-50Gb hard drive..
Is win 98SE going to support this processor??
I am reasonably confident that a 40-50Gb drive is not a problem.
However...what about the new 7200RPM drives, will win98SE and/or the mainboard bios readly support this?..
I will eventually go to winXP, but my money will be all spent on the hardware..got to wait till tax time for the winXP.....
Is there any helpfull information I should know first??
any one got name brands or part ## to share??
Thanx.....

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Windows 98 won't have a problem with the processor speed, this is a function of the motherboard and bios.

The hard drive is not a problem for windows but motherboard bios has to be able to recognize it.
Hard drive rpm is not an os issue, just the speed of the drive independant of os, etc.

What is motherboard dependant is the data transfer rate of the drive, ata33/66/100. Buy a drive that matches your motherboard spec's. Although ata100 drives will work on ata33 systems, they are backwards compatible. Good motherboards generally abit, asus. Hard drives I'm not real sure at this very moment after reading an article about ibm having problems with some of their new drives.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just finished putting together a 900 mhz computer I purchased from www.tigerdirect.com prices are very reasonable. Also you could look at pricewatch.com, but look very closely at the shipping charges. Hope this helps!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.