Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I've made the attachments correct, I'm not feeling the connection was made properly.

Anywho, here is basically what's been going on from start to current time frame.

I would say roughly 6 weeks ago, I got bored and decided to install Spore. Now, I used to have it on this computer initially, however, I uninstalled it due to lack of interest at the time. So, as the aforementioned states, I decided to reinstall it. Ever since that, I've had the inability to update my graphics card and properly load after updating. It tells me I have a standard VGA card as opposed to a Nvidia GeForce Go 7600. Please see this link for the Make/Model number of the current Laptop (this link is just a search query, underneath the query it has links to products, accessories, et cetera):

HP Pavilion dv9200 CTO Notebook PC (EZ345AV)

I've done a BIOS flash, and at one point about 5 weeks ago, this seemed to work, however, I'm not sure what I did exactly to cause it to become disabled again. Generally I have a > 1400 reso and now I've only been able to work on a Standard VGA Driver (which is unable to be updated).

Here is what happens prior to an attempted update:

The loading screen that displays the BIOS name Phoenix and HP has vertical colored lines. I believe the majority of the time they are seen to be Red or Green lines, upon moving on to the loading OS screen, they turn all white. Then, the Vista Icon appears and the lines disappear - However, resolution is unable to be displayed > 1024x768.

When I try to update the graphics driver this is what happens:

The same lines appear during the entire session until reaching the Vista Logo which never appears. The screen turns black. Sometimes I can get a BSoD which states the driver being unable to load, most of the time however, I could let it sit there for hours with the black screen without a BSoD ever appearing.

I've attempted a reformat, however, I am not experienced with loading the D drive as it is labeled HP_RECOVERY (D:) and I am without the recovery discs. I wasn't sure if it was mandatory that I had the factory HP files loaded, so I did some research to attempt a way to boot from D: as opposed to booting from C: to figure out whether or not I could. Most of the information I found was bad information, or something I was unsure of messing with.

I've been struggling this for the past 6 weeks off and on. Seeing as this is my primary travel computer, it makes it quite difficult to get any "play" time in, I can hardly look at it and lugging around my tower is not exactly friendly. I'm a bit shy about posting here, I've done some brief searching, have lost the patience to keep being extensive in searches as the information I've tried to locate is scattered and usually unrelated to some extent in so far as what I can see.

My apologies for the extensive post, I am just at my wit's end. Hopefully you guys can figure out what I'm describing here and if I need to provide you with any other information, I will do so. I've tried to include the DxDiag and the report from CPUID Hardware Monitor, along with the above link showing the computer make and model number in par ens.

Thank you so much and once again, please let me know what information you need from me.

Ginger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Is this the driver you have tried to install: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_179.48_beta.html
If not try that one.

If you want to reformat then press F10 when you see the HP splash screen when you first turn on the laptop and it will launch the HP Factory Restore from the recovery partition.

If you have warranty from HP you can also try calling them. Hp laptops with NVidia graphics have been horrible, yours may have simply broke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Triple6,

Just wanted to say that I installed that particular driver last night, however, as luck would it have it didn't work. Still returned to a black screen after installation and the multi-colored lines were still active.

I called HP but they apparently were unable to help me. Something about their Customer Service and the ever so popular phrase, "I'm not sure what could be wrong."

I'm going to go with the possibility that it just broke. I suppose I'll take it in to a GeekTech and get a new card (hopefully that'll work). Gonna have to chalk of the damage being done on my part and eat up the expense!

The only other thing that I could possibly attribute it to, is that while I was waiting for my house to close I had it plugged into a non-surge protected outlet in the hotel during a storm (Florida has a great relationship with lightning). Just had to rewire my house because of this, too.

Thanks for your response,

Ginger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.