Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
power shuts down after 10-15 seconds. Tried new power supply, same results. HP Pavilion a1223w running windows XP. Tried disconnecting power and recycling power supply, same results. All internal connections are secure. This is a friends computer, so I don't have recovery discs. Don"t know if they would even work since it won't even post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't think it's an overheat problem. Computer sat disconnected for a couple of months. Now just runs for 10-15 sec and shuts down. Could this be a motherboard problem?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Boards are among the last things to cause problems. Other things need to be checked first.

When you say it "runs" for 10-15 seconds, does that mean that it boots? Does it get to a desktop? What is the very last thing that you see?

Where was it stored?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both the CPU and exhaust fans run for 10 secs. Hp logo shows on monitor, then shuts down. I was able to get into set-up once but it immediately shut down. I have removed all add on cards, tried disconnecting the cacles to the hard drive with the same results. I have tried another PSU, also with the same results. System will not post. I have ordered new RAM thinking that it may be the problem, but have not net received them.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,511 Posts
power shuts down after 10-15 seconds. Tried new power supply, same results. HP Pavilion a1223w running windows XP. Tried disconnecting power and recycling power supply, same results. All internal connections are secure. This is a friends computer, so I don't have recovery discs. Don"t know if they would even work since it won't even post.
The recovery disc kit for the HP Pavilion a1223w desktop can be purchased here for $27.00 plus shipping.

Here is the HP support site for that desktop - which was manufactured in August 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.