Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to fix a problem I was having with the cursor and in the process, I downloaded Windows update which included Microsoft.Net framework 2.0; Microsoft.Net framework 3.5 SP1; Microsoft.Net framework 3.0 Service Pack; and Security update Windows XP KB973869. Since it did not fix the problem with the cursor, I decided to use Roxio Back on Track 3 program to restore the computer to a previous state. When I tried to restore the computer to an earlier state, Windows was unable to open. I got a message that said "the file "system32\drivers\Ntfs.sys is either corrupt or missing." So I tried to reinstate the computer to the original settings before I tried to restore it, but I got the same message. I tried to use the Windows CD to restore the file using the command: CD system32
ren ntkrnipa.exe ntkrnipa.old
ren ntkrnipa.exe ntkrnipa.old... but, when I entered the command in red, it said "the system cannot find the file or directory specified." Then, I used the command: copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers. Again, I received the same message. Please tell me how to restore the computer to the original state. Then, I'll worry about the cursor problem later.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Welcome to TSG!

It's an L, not an I -- ntkrnlpa.exe
After renaming it you would need to replace it with the correct version from the CD. That file can be either
ntkrnlpa.exe or ntkrpamp.exe that has been renamed to ntkrnlpa.exe

I'm assuming you booted to the Recovery Console
When you typed this command:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Did you change cd to the drive letter of your CD-ROM, and change drive to the drive letter of the hard drive?
drive would be the same as the letter in the prompt, usually C.
The CD_ROM could be different than what it is when booted to Windows. You can type MAP to find the letter, or do DIR X:, trying different letters for X until you find the drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response. Sadly, I had to take it in to a professional before I got your response. However, I will take these directions to him in hopes of preventing him from formating the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. I'll let you know if the directions work for him.
Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your quick response. Sadly, I had to take it in to a professional before I got your response. However, I will take these directions to him in hopes of preventing him from formating the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. I'll let you know if the directions work for him.
Thanks again. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.