Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an e-mail with an attachment of photographs. As I pressed the 'send' button I heard a little voice say - 'the photo's are too big' and sure enough they blocked up my Outbo :(. However the complete e-mail was eventually sent:) and received but in bite sized lumps.
This unblocked my Outbox :) but it has now blocked up my 'Sent' folder :(. I am now unable to delete it and more to the point, once it goes into my 'Deleted items' folder will it clog that up:confused:?

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
Can you simply move the file to another folder?

Open Outlook Express, click on File > Folder > Compact. Do it for the Inbox, the Sent items and the Deleted items folders.

If you have a large number of messages in the default folders (Inbox, Sent Items, and Deleted Items), create new folders and move all messages you want to keep into them.
Delete what you don't want to keep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Phantom
I wish I could! I have tried several times from the Outbox and then the 'Sent' folder. Just get the message that an error has occurred and no idea what the error is. I then tried to break the message down into bits and then delete each bit, but it wasn't having any of that.
Part 2 - I also tried to compact the folders suggested but when it tried the 'Sent' folder it said it couldn't because it was in use with another application ? Alan

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
Open Outlook Express. Click on Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder... This will show you the default location of your e-mail messages. Locate the folder and open it.
In there you will see several files with ".dbx" as the extension type. You will need to delete the Sent.dbx. (Your OS may be set to hide the 3 letter extensions, so it may just say Sent.")

If you do not see these files, check to make sure that you have the option to show hidden files and folders turned on.

So, once you identify the Sent.dbx file, delete it. Then the next time you start Outlook Express, it will create a new Sent file for you.

***NOTE: make sure you have saved any other e-mail in the sent items that you wish to keep before doing this. Make a new folder in Outlook Express (call it "Saved Messages" or something like that) and move the messages you want to keep into there.)

·
Trusted Advisor (deceased)
5,176 Posts
While you are in the Message Store folder deleting the Sent items.dbx, additionally find and delete the Outbox.dbx.

Once a message has been stuck in a DBX file, it can cause damage to it. You might as well regenerate that file as well by deleting it (it won't hurt a thing to do that) and then you won't have to worry about it coming back to haunt you later.

T. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...:rolleyes:......what can I say.....:)......I'm speechless......;)....not really! :eek: What a star Phantom010 is, after a load of questions from an expert to an absolute knuckle head he came up with a solution. Aaaahhhhh bliss, all is tickety boo and working as it should.
Salutary lesson learnt - don't get clever and try to send a lot of photos (I mean over 50), it blocks everything up and needs a good dose of salts, or Tech Support Guy, to clear it.
Thank you Alan :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.