Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've set up a simple home network w/ a netgear router,earthlink zyxel modem and a laptop and desktop computer. I'm sharing a printer between them. All works well. But, if I take my laptop anywhere with a wireless connection - I can not connect. I can find area networks and it will say I'm connected But, when opening IE it just sits there and does nothing for 4 -5 min. Then it will come up with the unable to display message. If I try ip config 192.168.1.1 it will report correct info. But, will not ping www.yahoo.com. Can anyone give me ideas to try. Also, is there anyway to save the settings I use at home so that when I return I can log on w/o resetting everything up?

Thanks,
Suzy

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
What does "ip config 192.168.1.1" mean?

What do you mean by "area networks"? Are they secured?

Can you post an ipconfig /all for when you're connected at home, please?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok here's the answer to your questions.
1. When away from home if I type IP config/ ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever that particular places IP address is) I will receive the correct replys back. In the bottom right of the taskbar it will show I am connected but and that signal strength is excellent but I can't open any webpages.
2. Area networks - when I have the laptop at work I can access a list of several networks to sign in to - some secured some unsecured
3. my home network is secured - when away such as at a motel - they are unsecured

My home network uses windows to manage the network

Thanks for your help, Suzy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,I know some Hotels require a service - But we have a local bakery and a coffee shop with free wireless service and I know other people can connect w/o problems. Also have spoken to people at motels(with free service) and they say it's a setting within my computer. I can go thru the login in and it actually looks as if I'm connected but no web pages load. Did a test with a friends laptop and they can't connect to my network, they get the same blank page. Just not sure what settings to change or what todo to re-establish a connection when I return home.

thanks again
Suzy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Presuming your computer is running Windows XP can you post an ipconfig /all to this forum?
Go to start> run> type cmd> type ipconfig /all in the black window that pops up.

Joe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, here is the ipconfig/all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ >ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-AA-D6-0A

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-E0-8C-EB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you look at the ipconfig output you'll notice that DHCP enabled is no. This means that unless the network you connect to is exactly the same as the one you use at home you likely won't be able to use it especially since your home network uses a non-standard IP address range. If you want to be able to move from network to network you'll need to enable DHCP so that you get the proper settings for each network. To enable DHCP go to start> control panel> network connections> right click on your wireless connection> select properties> click on the general tab> make sure that "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" are checked. If you don't have DHCP enabled at home it might break your connectivity in which case you'll need to enter your static information again at home or enable the DHCP server on your router. Also, you can enter static information into the secondary connectivity information for your adapter for when you're not able to find DHCP information.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
What Joe said, except if you need to keep using static IP at home. In that case after you have flagged the "auto" stuff, click on the Alternate Configuration tab and put your static information there. When a Dhcp server is found, its information will be used. At home, with no Dhcp server, the alternate static info will be used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.