Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Tech Support Guy Forums,

I am having a problem where my computer cuts out and turns off, and refuses to boot. When I attempt to boot it, the internal speaker plays a high-pitched warble.

A more descriptive account follows:

Here's what happened yesterday: The computer was on for about 7+ hours straight. I left it on while I was out at classes and such. I was playing a game and listening to some music until about 2AM. The display cut out, my computer turned off, and the internal speaker started beeping. Now, it wasn't regular, deliberate beeps with pauses or anything. It was more like a square-wave, or a warble. High pitched. I tried turning the computer off, and then back on, but every time I tried, the computer didn't even go through booting, and the warble/alarm started again. Fans reved up, screen stayed dark.

Since I was going to sleep anyway, I left the computer off, turned off the monitor and everyhing, etc.

Here's what happened today: This morning, I was absolutely groggy and had forgotten about the problem. I booted up my computer to check my e-mail, and it worked just fine. The fans were much louder than usual when they started up, but they slowed down to normal speeds and the computer ran just fine.

I started a virus scan (AVG, updated recently) and ran off to classes. The scan came up clean and the computer ran with no problems from the morning I turned it on, to about an hour ago (9 AM - 12 AM).

The computer cut out again today while I was just relaxing and listening to music, and the warble/beep/thing started up again. I tried turning off the computer, turning it back on, unplugging the power supply (waiting) then plugging it back in. I checked the connections, all the simple stuff.

Every time I boot it, I get the warble, the fans rev up, but the screen stays black (though powerd) and even if my computer DOES work tomorrow, I absolutely want to resolve this issue. I worry that I might have a problem with my motherboard? I'm quite a novice when it comes to problems of this magnitude.

This computer is no older than 3-4 months old. It's a HP out of the box machine (One of their multimedia-center lines), and the hard-drives contents are nothing more than WoW, Oblivion, Maya, stuff like Aim, WinZip, iTunes, etc. and a bunch of MP3s.

If it's relevant at all, I remember waking up a few nights where I could have SWORN I heard the computer rebooting. But it was always fine in the morning, (The computer was always just in sleep mode) and the few scans I ran always showed up fine. I admit I was less than thurough though.

The computer cut out at about 2AM yesterday, and at about 12 AM today, at no particular minute or anything.

Any advice? I thank the reader in advance for any assistance or consideration they can provide!

Rough Specifications From Memory
I'm at a school computer lab, so I'm roughing it from memory:
Entry-Level/Mid-Range Pentium dual core processor
2 Gigs of Ram
Windows XP Media Center Edition
No Floppy Drive
I use an adapter which allows me to connect an older monitor to a digital output.
USB based keyboard and mouse (no immediate access to older types)

History
When I first got the machine from HP, I experienced the commonish Sonic CD Creator bug, wherein the computer searched for a non-present installation file, and would refuse to shut up about it, no matter how many times you cancelled. A friend fixed the problem, but the computer has no burning software.

Everything else has been perfect.

·
Registered
367 Posts
mmm. quite a problem you have there. i sound like it can be one of a few problems. such as over heating, power supply is dying or graphics card problems. have you checked that your computer is not over heating and that your PSU is not dying. on some motherboards you can find this information out by entering the cmos and looking for system information or something along those lines. you may also want to have a look at trying a different psu if you have one laying around

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It sounds like the BIOS is sensing either overheating, or perhaps a fan failure. Open the case and see if the processor fan is running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.