Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having too much problems with my windows XP home ed. and re-install my os and no problems. But now at the it asks me if i should choice between to Window home edition and if i pick one it loads up find and i choice the second one it will restart my system. I guess it is like i have two OS it my computer. I want to know how to take out the non-working OS and just load up one OS with out re-installing everything.

some one told me this and did not make sence to me:
You can edit the boot.ini file in Notepad to remove the second instance or use the Startup and Recovery Settings to do it. Right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab.

This is a standard boot.ini, just change the word Professional to Home Edition:
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

The last 2 lines are actually a single line, in Notepad turn off WordWrap.
can someone explain this to me like you would like a computer dummy

Thanks
G

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
Copy and paste your boot.ini file here. Can you tell us which one it defaults too. If you dont select an OS it will boot into the default one. Does it go into the one that boots ok or does it go into the one that doesn't work.

You boot.ini file is a hidden system file, so you will have to make the appropriate changes in Windows Explorer to see it. It is located in the root of the C: drive.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
I would post it here first too make sure you edit out the correct entry. Edit this at your own risk.. If you edit out the entry that doesn't boot you are gonna be in for more trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.