Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay what hardware and software do I need to hook my TV to the computer or hook my DVD player or VHS to the computer?

Also what about the TV turner card or that is only for watching TV on the computer but does not have the interface to hook my DVD player or VHS to the computer?

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
You either need a video card with ViVo (Video In Video Out) capabilities, or a TV card that also provides the above.

Most TV cards have Video in, not all have Video out though.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
You put the DVD movie in the DVD drive on the computer and watch it on the computer. There's no need to connect a home DVD player to a computer. I've heard of a free DVD player app for computers, but given that you're prepared to spend significant money to connect an external player, you could afford a simple codec which would allow you to play the movies in Windows Media Player.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's fine for watching them no problems as far as i'm concerned. There are a few free apps that will let you watch films and also there free codecs for windows media player. microsoft.com download windows media player 11 and that lets you watch your dvds perfectly.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Justmake sure you have media player 11 which is the latest media player from microsoft. This will allow you to watch dvds perfectly. It also has a nice interface and some extra features. You can get this from microsoft.com/downloads

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I have version 9 on my Windows 98 computer and I willl have to check the version number on my Windows XP and see if I have version 11.

What movie-playing features do you want, that WMP doesn't have
No maxibhoy is saying I can get free apps if I want more features .I'm just replying to make sure I understand it right.

·
Registered
317 Posts
zergpc208 said:
Okay you put the DVD movie in the DVD player of the computer but is Windows Media Player is it good or bad for watching DVD movies?
it will work for movies. if you want more deluxe then you need
something that simmulates a standalone dvd player.

look at the disc that came with your dvd drive, every dvd drive
i've seen comes with some player software, most much better
than WMP, atleast it has the functions to use dvd features.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
maxibhoy said:
Justmake sure you have media player 11 which is the latest media player from microsoft. This will allow you to watch dvds perfectly. It also has a nice interface and some extra features. You can get this from microsoft.com/downloads
These forums are littered with problems when WMP11 was installed on systems that worked well before hand.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
maxibhoy said:
Oh really, I've not had any problems with it myself. Is it the full release you mean, not the beta?
MS is notorious for releasing software that is buggy, BETA or not. There are so many folks here that have lost much functionality since going with the official/latest version of WMP11, and unfortunately if you look there are seldom any solutions. Many have tried to go back to the earlier version they used and still no joy. For me I only need/use WMP for web content. For everything else I have Nero Showtime, the enhanced version of WPM6.4 and VLC. One should keep in mind that DRM is of the utmost concern to MS and all new MS software is designed with that in mind. MS's Vista will be the DRM king.

Some light reading.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

·
Registered
938 Posts
There are so many folks here that have lost much functionality since going with the official/latest version of WMP11, and unfortunately if you look there are seldom any solutions.
Can you give any examples or what kind of functionality do you mean really? I have heard of this drm stuff before. It's very interesting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.