Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've posted the below in another forum and had some guidance some time ago but after other opinions and suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Hope somebody can help with this little problem I'm having.
I'm trying to extend a wireless network to an access point around 15-20 metres away through a couple of walls.

It starts at a belkin ADSL router. Now this does not support Wireless bridging which I found after purchasing a Netgear WG602 and discovering it could not connect to the Belkin. After hardwiring this in to the belkin I discoveredit worked and after some digging found out on the net that you need 2 access points to do this ideally so I purchased another and this connects fine with the wired access point. For an idea of how its set up I'll show this below:

Belkin ADSL Router----------------NEtgear WG602 Access Point -- -- -- -- -- -- Netgear WG602 Access Point
Wired Connection Wireless Connection

Now this works fine I can connect to the wireless access point on its own and I get an internet connection however as soon as I turn on WEP or WPA The wireless can not gain an IP address from the router and as a result gives itself one beginning with 164 (it should begin 19.168.1.????) and as a result I get no connectivity.

For a bit of extra information the wired AP is not broadcasting its SSID (its different to the wireless AP) and is in wireless bridge mode with the wireless AP. That is in repeater mode at the moment but I did try it in bridge mode.

Now I'm not the most clued up on this but would the wired AP need identical security turned on for it to connect to the wireless AP?

I hope someone can help I'm struggling with this as part of a job we are doing to install WIFI in a bar. I got everything working apart from this so I'm almost there. I get the feeling it could be something very simple but i'm not seeing it at the moment.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Dave

edit-- Its been suggested to make both AP's have same channel, SSID, and security settings and set to repeat each other so essentially they would be the same wireless network. Do you think this is the right way to go about it? (was given this link http://www.unix.ms/netgear/)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Please confirm this: When connecting to the WAP with encryption enable do you receive a 164 IP address or 169? Both have a very different meaning.

And do you have MAC filtering enabled on any WAP?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You lost me, but I think that you have, or are trying to have, the 2nd WG602 communicate with the 1st one as a wireless bridge or as a repeater (range extender). In either of those cases they need to be using the same SSID, channel, and encryption.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please confirm this: When connecting to the WAP with encryption enable do you receive a 164 IP address or 169? Both have a very different meaning.

And do you have MAC filtering enabled on any WAP?
I'm fairly sure of the top of my head that its 164. Am pretty sure thats due to the DHCP being unable to assign an IP address.

No MAC filtering as its designed to be a public network.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You lost me, but I think that you have, or are trying to have, the 2nd WG602 communicate with the 1st one as a wireless bridge or as a repeater (range extender). In either of those cases they need to be using the same SSID, channel, and encryption.
Yep thats basically how its set up. I suspect that should work as I've had that advice before.

Ta

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.