Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of trouble with my external hard drive and well.. obvioiusly shutting down. I run on Windows 98 SE, and have a Western Digital External hard drive. Anyways, whenever I shut down and don't disconnect the hard drive in any way, it'll give me an error of something about your virtual drive having problems, and needing to restart. I'm sorry for not being able to give the specific message, but it only pops up every here and there. Otherwise, it usually stops at the "Windows Shutting Down" screen and just lock. I end up having to shut it down by pressing the button on the tower which is uncomforting. It usually shuts down just fine by safely removing the hard drive right before shutting down. I shouldn't have to do that if I knew better though. Any ideas? I already changed the settings in device manager to read the drive as a removable and disconnecting drive. I'm still not sure what I can do though.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
sounds like windows is using a swap file on the external drive.

I don't remember the step by steps for 98 but its under hardware, probably advanced, and virtual memory. disable the swap file for that drive litter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.