Tech Support Guy banner
4381 - 4400 of 4437 Posts

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Hi Folks, :)

Hi Randy, :)

That sounds like one of our storms lately, o_O
we had a thunder clap about 11.30 pm last week that seemed to last forever, people were talking about it all over Melbourne.

·
Trusted Advisor
127,433 Posts
Good evening folks.

Mornin' Yvonne.

The rain seems to have passed, for now. Just hot & humid, again ...

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
'Allo Folks!

Oddly, nothing to report.
Either something happened that I didn't notice, or I slept right through it!
Both scenarios seem equally likely ;)

·
Trusted Advisor
127,433 Posts
Mornin' folks.

Good evening Yvonne.

After a dreary day yesterday, is is bright sunshine today. Between the two, I'd prefer the overcast ...

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

Sounds like you had a good sleep,
I didn't get much last night.

Evening Mark, :)

We had a lovely lot of sunshine yesterday also,
so I pruned a few more roses.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
G'Day folks!

Yvonne, yup I hate restless sleepy time...
tired for sure, but sleep eludes one.
Frustrating, to say the least.

so I pruned a few more roses.
But I will tell you... I could use the scent of a rose (grew some red and yellow years ago) and also wouldn't mind snacking on some prunes ;) :eek:

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

I have about 18 rose bushes, one red one is a cutting I took over 50 years ago from an old bush that was likely already 20 years old, I think it is called 'American Beauty' & has a beautiful perfume, most of my roses are over 50 years old.

I have a bag of prunes here, but a bit hard for you to reach. :)

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Oh my, Yvonne!
I'd have to say you must have a green thumb (y)
Love to see some pics, if you could manage that...
If not, no worries.

It just amazes me that some folks can propagate plants and flowers for 50+ years, while others have such talent (or luck) ;)
I once grew some chives from seeds, did well, but the pot was over crowed. Though they went dormant over the winter, returned every spring for many years.
Being a nice addition to baked potatoes and scrambled eggs, decided to give my buddy some...so split the pot,soil and all, replanted... but everything died.
Hey ho... and so i goes.

·
Trusted Advisor
127,433 Posts
Good evening folks.

Mornin' Yvonne.

I have mixed horticultural results. Got a nice little Japanese Maple in the front yard next to a crepe myrtle. Several other trees in the front, but those are the ones I put in. Several years ago, one 4th of July morning about 4:30 AM, a (must've been) drunk driver came down the street and never stopped. Plowed right through my chain link fence and took down the Japanese maple. Bent it flat to the ground! I thought it was a goner, but I stood it back up and it has flourished! No bracing or anything. You can see the big bruise on the trunk, but it seems to be healthy!

In the backyard I'd planted a sapling oak tree about 20 years ago that's now a good 40-50' tall and some sort of evergreen (I think it might be a Green Giant Arborvitae) that I planted about 10, or so, years ago that's a good 25 - 30'. I don't have good pics of the evergreen, but ...
At about 6-7' tall in the aftermath of an ice storm:
Plant Window Snow Branch Twig

Then, about 2.5 years ago, after I finished building the shed:
Plant Wood Tree Land lot Window

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

I started as a teenager trimming our hedge & helping mow grandads lawn.
I haven't got the red rose reduced but will attach a few other photos.

I think you may have moved your chives at the wrong time but they did well until then.

You were lucky your tree Japanese Maple surviving, & your Oak Tree sounds huge;
I also have a Japanese Maple & a weeping one that is a burgundy colour in Spring, also a huge weeping cut leaf Silver Birch, Proteas & Leucadendron, many Camelias, Azaleas & a Magnolia, we had apple, pear & apricot trees until parrots migrated down south, but still have an old lemon tree, don't grow many vegies these days though.

Here's a few photos :-

Attachments

·
Trusted Advisor
127,433 Posts
Good evening folks.

Mornin' Yvonne.

Beautiful pictures! You've got some fantastic flowers!
Still bloody hot down here. It was 89F out back while I was out there grilling about 7:30 this evening ...

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

Thanks, the Protea & Leucadendron are South African natives that thrive here.

Still pretty warm there for late Autumn, slowly warming up here C16 here today.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Hi fellow humans!

Yvonne, very nice flowers, that Protea is quite unusual looking but :cool:
It certainly speaks to your green thumb to raise a non-native species! (y)

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

Thanks, the Leucadendron has actually self seeded & I have just potted it as I have no room for another one.
Seeing as we were once attached to South Africa millions of years ago, we must have similar conditions.
I also have a white Protea that is about 40 years old & bears about 50 odd flowers late autumn.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
I also have a white Protea that is about 40 years old & bears about 50 odd flowers late autumn.
That's quite something!(y)

I just discovered yesterday my only plant that I've looked after for about 5+ years died because I didn't look after it properly.
Just a rosemary plant in a pot, but I'll miss its fragrance when you could just gently brush the plant with your had and get the essence of it.
Thought the drought wasn't that bad, but was wrong. :cautious:

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

Thanks, the Proteas trees tend to lean over with the weight of the flowers & need support.

Sorry about your Rosemary, it probably needed watering a few times a week in the drought.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Yes Yvonne it did need that....totally my bad :(
I thought it showered enough, however briefly, to be enough...but what water fell probably evaporated before it soaked the soil.

You called the Proteas trees...and your pics certainly looks like a heavy blossom, I wonder how it survives in Africa without support?
I mean your support ;)

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Nice work Yvonne!
I do wonder are they fragrant? Some large flowering plant are sweet smelling and some are kinda plain, others ...uh... not what you'd call pleasant.

4381 - 4400 of 4437 Posts