Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is trying to upgrade the power supply on his HP Media Center m7160n, I understand he'd be better off getting a new custom PC in the long run but for now he's just looking for a stop gap solution.

The problem is the specs for that PC lists two motherboards, one ASUS and one an HP motherboard and we have no idea what this means: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00389438.

The power supply he's looking at only has one ATX motherboard connector: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cooler+...68522&skuId=1511293&st=power supply&cp=1&lp=5

Does this mean the power supply will not work?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but he's able to get this one dirt cheap due to Best Buy gift card. I checked and it has decent reviews. He only needs 350w for the video card he has.

So if anyone knows if this PSU would work or not with this set up, any help would be appreciated

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
It should .. I was looking for better specs on that one .. But couldn't find any.
Since it's from BBuy .. Couldn't you take it back if it won't fit ??

The last time I tried a generic PSU .. The wires were too long and it wasn't a pretty install .. But it worked :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it does have a 1 year warranty, but I know BB is shady with their returns sometimes.

When the HP site lists two motherboard names, is it two different names for one motherboard or does that mean there's two motherboards?

This is what I'm referring to:

Motherboard
  • Manufacturer: Asus
  • Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
  • HP motherboard name: Limestone-GL8E

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
I see your MOBO

I was thinking about the possible return problem ..
I'd ask .. If they say it'll fit ... And since you can't find the Connector specs ...
If it won't work .. then it's their fault.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.