Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
she has widowsXP and its brand new but it runs slow, I want to shut down some of the start ups but not sure which one is her internet connection, she has cable connection. any help would be appreciated.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
Are you talking about turning off some of the startup entries in the SERVICES window or the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab window?

The only entries that I have running in my Windows XP SP2 computer in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab window are the antivirus and firewall programs. I'm on BrightHouse Networks Roadrunner cable, and it doesn't place any entries in either window.

Write down the list of entries in the leftmost column next to the checked boxes and post the list here. Make sure to spell each one exactly as you see it. If you rather research each item yourself, you can make use of the search option at this site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If this is a brand new PC then I wouldn't suspect startup programs as being the culprit for the slowness. Check for viruses/spyware..... check Task Manager for programs hogging resources.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
If there is not enough RAM, if there are too many programs running in the background, and if there is too much "eye candy" running, even a new computer will run slow.

You would be surprised at much software bloat comes with a new computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.