Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old machine I'm trying to get anything at all to run on.

I couldn't get it to boot from a win98se boot disk so I thought I would try DamnSmallLinux.

The old machine I'm trying to get going started to boot from the cd-rom but after loading initial files I would just end up with a blank screen. So at the command prompt I typed "knoppix testcd".
With both the Knoppix and DamnSmallLinux it says there are files missing, but I'm beginning to believe this is not true so I took the battery out and turned on the power switch to drain any power out of the system but now even though I have set my bios to boot from the cd I cant get it to boot from anything other than the floppy.

Anyone got any ideas.
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
I think the problem might be either a corrupt download of DSL or I have a virus in my bios.

Why dont they zip these things, I'm using a download manager and it still looks like the download is corrupt.

I was hoping to get INSERT because it has a great tool kit but I cant even get that into my download manager.

The bandwidth I used getting Knoppix (twice) and it looks like its still corrupt.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.