Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of 8 Dvd's bought in the shops (so not copies) only 3 will play,they do not show if I right click on my computer,I have Power DVD and windows media player on the computer and neither will play them,has anyone any ideas I might try O/S is XP

·
Super Moderator
37,539 Posts
Hiya

Go to Control Panel | System. Device manager. Under CDROM/DVDROM, look for the name of your drive. Rightclick on it and choose Properties.
Click the Settings tab and untick DMA, apply and OK

If its already unchecked, see if checking it will help.

Regards

eddie

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok eddie,(long time no speak lol) thanks for your suggestion,will have to try that a bit later in the day as its a friends computer and will not have access to it until later but will let you know what the result is

Ps sorry that Bradford are getting relegated,but looks very likely that Walsall are going to join them now :D

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Could also be the region settings on the DVD drive....

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotrootdude said:
Could also be the region settings on the DVD drive....
Where can I find those please,never done this before

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried finally what you said Eddie but they still dont play,cant understand why some will and others wont

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Open Device Manager and right-click your DVD drive under DVD/CD-ROM Drives, Properties, DVD Region tab. Be sure your region choice is correct (you can only change this 5 times so be careful not to use up all your turns :D).

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Elvandil thanks for your help,I cant find that DVD region tab that you mentioned.....

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AcaCandy said:
Maybe if we move you to hardware ;)
Hi Candy,Well its worth a try if you will do that,technically speaking I suppose it is the hardware thats the problem,thanks for the suggestion...take care :)

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link Eddie there is a lot of info there,will let you know IF I eventually crack it :)

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
n2gun,Thanks for your input,they were all checked still no joy at the moment....but pressing on :)

·
Banned
272 Posts
hi

i am having a somewhat similar problem as telecom69.

some DVDs play and others won't. for example, Wrong Turn plays but my Buffy and Angel DVDs won't. specifically disc 6 of Buffy Season 2 and disc 1 of Angel Season 3. and this is strange since i have played these discs many times before but today when i tried to play them they don't play, why?

also my drive can read DVD data discs, eg, DVDPP (DVD Powerplay) discs. which is a cover mount found on PCPP magazine.

it can also read CDs. all types (data, music, VCD, etc).

my system specs (including my DVD drive) are:

Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) B
AMD Duron Processor, MMX, 3DNow, 700MHz
128MB RAM
TNT2 w/ 32MB RAM
LG CDRW/DVD combo drive HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B (32x10x40x 16x DVD)
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

i am using Firmware revision 1.00

i have done a scan for spyware, adware and viruses and there r none. so i can rule out an infection.

i have DMA mode turned on. i have turned it off to see if that helps but it doesn't play DVD discs at the correct speed when i do that so i have to have it on.

here is a screencap of the other settings in system properties of my drive:

i have looked on the LG website for an updated firmware for my drive but they don't have one :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.