Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Sorry, setting up all this stuff, busy weekend.......I'm back on it.....

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey John, I renamed the profile to profiles.ini.sav as you instructed. I'm ready to create the new .ini file with the new data you provided, except that I don't know how.....never done one of these before. I looked around a little in google, I guess it's done in text editor, or......? If you can tell me the best way, I'll do it right away and then try it out and let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Ok, I tried it, moved the profiles.ini.sav backup to desktop, then copied the new profile you sent: clicked on the zipped file, then right-clicked-copied the "profiles.ini" file within to the Thunderbird folder (see attached). The result is what I had before: none of the Archived files are there. I'm sure I messed it up somehow. :-(

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Open the profiles.ini in text editor and see if it still has the contents I posted. It looks like Thunderbird is generating new profiles, that happens if there is no valid profile.ini

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Okay, so I checked and there was more in there than you had (why?? Copied it directly to the profile!) I tried recopying your original .ini data again, restarted TB, it's just doing the same thing again: loading TB w/o the archives. I went to help---troubleshooting info- open folder, and this is there it leads (see attached). Obviously the correct profile is right there, but is being ignored. Tried again right afterwards, and you'll see in the attached that it now leads to yet another profile. Again: copied your file exactly, but something is happening to it and redirecting to a different profile.....any ideas?

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
No big surprise, that's what that profile is now telling it to do! Go back to my original profiles.ini with NO EXTRA stuff in the file and then start up Thunderbird.

If you look at the profile it's now using, it has two install definitions, and two profiles. The "last" profile is the bogus one that doesn't have any contents.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Okay.....I thought I've done exactly that, but apparently not. When you say "NO EXTRA stuff in the file," do you mean "no extra stuff" in the .INI file?? As in, only the lines of data you had there? Because I've done that, several times now.....or, are you saying to dump everything from the AppData\Roaming\THUNDERBIRD folder? Or are you saying dump any other .ini file besides yours?

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
You just showed me what was in your .INI file and it had a bunch of extra lines, you do NOT want them there. If you use just what I posted and fire up Thunderbird, it should find the right profile. As some point, I'd also want to remove all those extra profiles.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yes, I understand you. I have copied your exact file, those three lines or whatever, three or four times now and rebooted Thunderbird each time. Each time it resets up Thunderbird, and puts those same extra lines in there. I've also just deleted the wrong profiles. Any file and pasted yours in, same exact result.

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I have no idea what is going on at this point. I've manipulated the .INI file for TB a number of times on a number of systems, and it's always behaved logically.

One final idea.

Let TB create a new profile and profiles.ini, then edit that file and change just the profile name to your chosen profile. Maybe there's one character out of place that TB is choking on, it's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Okay, I'll try it. How exactly do I do this? Also, can I just delete all other profiles besides the correct one?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Wait.....I think I'm good......called the Cox Care guy again and I have my email folders back.....he basically did sort of what you suggested, in his words: "Ended up having to copy contents of old TB profile folder into newly generated TB- created profile folder that the INI file was pointing at. Also noticed that there were several other extraneous profiles that TB had created inside of %appdata%\roaming\Thunderbird folder over a period of a few days. After that all email folders came back without issue." We deleted all the unnecessary profile folders. So....hopefully we're good, but I'll report back after I give it a couple of days, and hopefully we can mark this "resolved." Biggest change from the last time I thought it was solved, is that now we're in the right folder: Roaming, not Local.

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Yes, being in the Roaming folder is key, I can't imagine it ever working with that stuff in Local.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The only thing is I notice for some reason, all the email from 2019 is missing. I'm thinking I could copy all those 2019 emails from the old desktop into the new profile....?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
yeah, sorry, too complicated for me. I'd mess it up for real. I'm researching how to just save the emails for one specific year (2019) and import them or something. At this point trying to figure out which profile they'd be in.....I have so many..... I managed to find all my "sent" 2019 emails, they're okay, so that's a start. I checked the old machine, thought I'd found the 2019 Inbox emails, but no dice. At this point I'm "okay" with it....the sent emails I have from 2019 contain the original messages anyway. Maybe just let well enough alone, let sleeping dogs lie, etc.

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
After all of this, maybe that's a good idea. :D You have what you need, why push your luck! ;)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Except that I now realize my "Sent" folder is a mess; I no longer have anything for the last two years. Total nightmare.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.