Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Well, that's certainly interesting, it sure doesn't mirror my experience with Thunderbird. I'm kinda' surprised that the stuff in Local is useful. I regularly move my TB profile between my desktop and laptop, and the only thing I copy is the Roaming folder. That's all I've ever done, and it's worked for many years.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey John, I posted this issue in the Mozilla TB Forum and I'm interested to hear what they have to say....I will report back when they do. Baffling issue, but there's always an answer somewhere....meanwhile I have all my email folders set up right now, so all is well.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what they say, since when I asked years ago they told me to move my profile in Roaming. :D Since that has always worked, I never looked in Local, I know that's typically more like TEMP storage than long term data.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I guess I spoke too soon. Unbelievable, TB just vanished from my computer sometime in the last few minutes. Just poof...gone. I had to reinstall TB, and OF COURSE my precious archived folders are not there. To say I'm at the hair-pulling stage is an understatement. I cannot fathom why this is going on. I've had TB FOREVER......why is this happening??? The profile was there, everything was working, now it vanishes.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And....now it's back. I copied the "other" profile into my current TB on Roaming, now it's all back. However, I have zero confidence in it right now. No idea what is going on, or the logic/ reasons behind it.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Well, I have to say... "I told you so". :D I think it'll stay now that you've copied from the Roaming folder. The fact that the Local folder data was all in a directory named CACHE gives it away. ;)

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't know...... I didn't copy from the roaming folder as far as I know, I just copied it to the Thunderbird folder so there's the smaller profile in there and then this one, they're both in there together. I don't know, it's all confusing to me.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
There's sometimes a "default" profile in there, but my profiles.ini in Roaming/Thunderbird points to my profile JohnMail. The profiles.ini file determines what TB is going to look at for it's mail database.

Blue Rectangle Font Magenta Parallel
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sooo confusing.....here's what I see, in these screenshots: on Help-Troubleshooting info - Profile folder- open folder.; then what you see in Roaming.....seems like the .ini is looking at the smaller default-release folder....above it is the BIG profile which contains all the stuff I NEED. But...in TB, all's well, at least so far; I see everything. Obviously I trust nothing at this point, after The Vanishing Incident....

Attachments

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
What are the sizes of all the other folders? It certainly appears that the 25GB one would be the active one! Notably, none of the entries in your profiles.ini actually point to that folder! If that's your actual data, you need to fix the file to point to the correct data path.

I think if you clean up the .ini file, you'll probably find your mail. I'd model it after my .ini file and put the correct data file in the path and see if that doesn't get you going. You have duplicate entries there confusing things.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That sounds like really good advice, but I have no idea how to do that properly. I'm sure it's very simple, however, "Clean up your.ini file" is a directive fraught with peril in my mind.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
First off, I do need to know how big each of those folders are. We want to make sure we're linking to the right folder. Please right click on each folder and get properties, post them here.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
First, before you do anything to the files, rename your old one to profiles.ini.sav so you have it in case for any reason you want to go back.

I've attached a profiles.ini file that should work, take a look at it and see if you see any issues you don't understand. It links to the m2iy5hl9.default profile which sure looks like what you need.

Here's the contents.

[Install8216C80C92C4E828]
Default=Profiles/m2iy5hl9.default

[Profile0]
Name=Recovered
IsRelative=1
Path=m2iy5hl9.default
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

Attachments

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
First off, THANK YOU for your help. Here's the folders you asked for:

Attachments

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I was actually looking for the total size of the entire structure, that's obtained by right clicking on it and selecting properties.

Here's a sample if my two. Note that the default one has nothing in it, but my email folder has 10.9GB of data.

1626304623185.png

Since previously you had checked properties of the m2iy5hl9.default and found 25GB of data, that is very likely the real email folder. If that's the case, the profiles.ini that I posted should be what you need to access it.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry if I misunderstood. I believe the right file is there though, I right-clicked and I believe the total size of the folder is 28.3 gigs. It's absolutely the right one, the other one is only a little over three, if I just install that I don't get any of the archives.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Well, then my profiles.ini should point you to the right file and get all the email. Remember to rename the old one so you can go back if you don't like how it turns out.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi John, to confirm: you suggest the following: 1) I use the .ini file you created, which SHOULD point TB to the correct profile, and straighten things out. 2) You suggest I "rename your old one to profiles.ini.sav". Which is the "old one?" Are you referring to the full TB folder with all the profiles, etc. inside it? Or do you mean the "old one" is mz9oi3g.default-release, which is the smaller profile that we know does not have the full data. 3) And finally, sorry, but can you please give me a step-by-step for dummies version I can follow? In no other area am I as trepidatious about screwing things up and being lost at sea.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I'm suggesting you rename the old profiles.ini that is currently in the Thunderbird folder to profiles.ini.sav as a backup in case we need it for whatever reason.

Next create a profiles.ini to replace it using the contents below.

[Install8216C80C92C4E828]
Default=Profiles/m2iy5hl9.default

[Profile0]
Name=Recovered
IsRelative=1
Path=m2iy5hl9.default
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

Don't change anything in the Profiles folder.

At this point, you should be able to start Thunderbird and see the correct email database.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Hello, is anyone out there? Did you get it working? It would be nice to know if you did!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.