Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carl can call home on it but for some reason cant receive calls. Right after he hung up today, I tried calling him right back to remind him to bring juice home for the baby and got a message saying that the "caller does not have their voicemail box set up yet". I got the same message yesterday when he was standing outside testing the phone and I tried to call him. :confused: Why on earth would he need a voicemail when he has his phone turned on? I have looked through the manual but still cant figure it out. I'll keep trying but would appreciate if anyone out there knows of a setting that I am overlooking.

thanks. :)

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
valley said:
I tried calling him right back to remind him to bring juice home for the baby
I don't know about the phone, but I caught the juice and wanted to make sure you know its NOT a good choice for good nutrition--pediatricians don't focus on nutrition unforunately. I know your baby is older than 6 months, but post this for completeness:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-juice.html

For babies under six months

Babies under six months should not be given juice. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition, "There is no nutritional indication to feed juice to infants younger than 6 months. Offering juice before solid foods are introduced into the diet could risk having juice replace breast milk or infant formula in the diet." The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding notes: "During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens."

For babies over six months

Juice intake, like water intake, can interfere with breastfeeding because it fills baby up so that he nurses less.

Juice should be introduced just like any other new food. For example, applesauce and apple juice should be introduced separately.

Limit juice intake to no more than 3-4 ounces per day so that baby is not filling up on it to the extent that he has no appetite for other foods.

Offer the juice from a cup rather than a bottle.

Dilute the juice with equal amounts of water, or try using juice just to flavor water.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has recently released a policy statement recommending that babies younger than 6 months should not be given any juice, children aged 6 months to 6 years should get no more than 4-6 ounces per day, and children older than 7 should have no more than 8-12 ounces of juice daily.

The potential hazards of too much juice

Drinking too much juice can lead to malnutrition or anemia, as a child is missing out on other necessary nutrients, including proteins and complex carbohydrates.

Drinking a lot of juice can damage the enamel of the teeth, leading to tooth decay. This is particularly a problem when the juice is offered in a bottle, rather than a cup.

Drinking a lot of juice, especially apple juice, may cause loose bowel movements and constant diarrhea.

Consumption of greater than 12 fl oz/day of fruit juice by young children has been associated with short stature and obesity (see studies by Dennison et al); other studies did not observe this association (see studies by Skinner et al). Consumption of more than 12 fl oz/day of fruit juice has also been associated with nonorganic failure to thrive (Smith et al, 1994).

Fruit juices that contain sorbitol or high levels of fructose as sweeteners may cause restlessness, gas and stomach distress in infants (Cole et al, 1999). The sweeteners may cause problems in babies because young children often have difficulty breaking down carbohydrates, including these sugars.

Unpasteurized juice may contain harmful bacteria, such as E-coli and Salmonella.
And of course, you probably already know that "juice" should be "100% juice--no added sweetners."

But you'd be better off with straight water, than juice or as they note--just flavor the water with some juice.

I did not know this until AFTER my children were older, unfortunately.

;)

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
B TW--juice is NOT good choice for drink even for older children--even natural juice has too much sugar--many parents allow children to drink unlimited amounts of juice thinking it "healthy". Diet soda is a much better choice once you get past 8 ounces, although not good either obviously. Water is the best, but I know its tough to get kids to drink water as their primary source of fluids.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
And juice relates to phone problem how?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
VAl, is this a new phone??? Was Carl roaming? If you are roaming calls will make an attempt to go straight to VM..

I don't have a tracphone, I have a Simple freedom pre-paid for emergencies, it costs me 10 dollars a month. I never set VM up because it sucks up minutes to set it up, leave messages and to retrieve messages.. I'd use way too many minutes if I use this feature.

I can also set up the phone so no calls can be made while roaming.. If you can't find the answers on thier web site I would put a call into thier 1800 #...

Take care!

Chari

·
Registered
12,427 Posts

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gbrumb said:
Thanks GB, I think i'll have to call tech support for help since we are pretty sure we have it all setup correctly. The only thing stopping me is that i'm waiting to see if my phone does the same thing. Carl got me a go-phone instead of a tracfone (for Christmas) and we decided to use the tracfones instead so I returned the gophone today and got the tracfone. Once its charged and activated, i'll see if I have the same problem...if I cant receive calls either then i'll know that I messed up something in the settings. I'm pretty sure I have his phone set to answer but maybe I set it to ring silently instead. Cant check now because he's got it with him (already called me once on his break...tried to call him back and got the same goofy "voicemail" message.

I'll lets yas know what the problem was once we get it figured out. Thanks for the help...you too Chari! :):up:

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mulder said:
I don't know about the phone, but I caught the juice and wanted to make sure you know its NOT a good choice for good nutrition--pediatricians don't focus on nutrition unforunately. I know your baby is older than 6 months, but post this for completeness:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-juice.html

And of course, you probably already know that "juice" should be "100% juice--no added sweetners."

But you'd be better off with straight water, than juice or as they note--just flavor the water with some juice.

I did not know this until AFTER my children were older, unfortunately.

;)
Thanks for the reminder, Mully. We are diluting his apple juice (unsweetened and 100% juice, of course ;)) with 1/4 part water to try and wean him off. I got into a terrible habit of giving him juice in a bottle while I was weaning him from nursing but ended up trading one healthy habit for an unhealthy alternative. He doesnt notice the 3/4 juice and 1/4 water dilution so its probably time to try watering it down a bit more. Juice used to be a nice treat for him but now its a "necessity to him" and I dont like it so we are trying to wean him off from it. Luckily, he does like water too so i'm hopeful that the transition wont be too rocky for him.

And he has been drinking from a cup since he was 4 months old so the bottle needs to go too...but as with anything...we try to do it in baby steps! ;)

:)

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
valley said:
Thanks GB, I think i'll have to call tech support for help since we are pretty sure we have it all setup correctly.

<SNIP>

I'll lets yas know what the problem was once we get it figured out. Thanks for the help...you too Chari! :):up:
Something just occurred to me. You may have to set up voice mail before the phone will allow calls through.

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steppinstone said:
VAl, is this a new phone??? Was Carl roaming? If you are roaming calls will make an attempt to go straight to VM..
yes, its a new phone. The first try...he was standing on the back porch. He called our home phone and I answered then hung up and tried to call it right back and I got the voicemail message. Then he tried calling my from his armchair and the phone rang on the bar so I answered it then hung up and tried calling him right back...his phone didnt ring but he opened it and turned it on and I heard him say hello (so thats why i am thinking I somehow set it to ring silently....which it stupid because whats the use in that?) The thing is....every time I get the voicemail message, theres no "missed calls" message on his menu showing that I even tried to call him...so again...who knows whats going on.

I don't have a tracphone, I have a Simple freedom pre-paid for emergencies, it costs me 10 dollars a month.
sounds like something I would use. We used to have a plan with Cingular when carl worked 4 hours away but once he came back home to work here, we realized that we were paying 50 bucks a month just for a quick 2 minute hello every day when he was at lunch. So thats why we switched. If we like this phone, we will get the annual card so we wont have to worry about having to buy the cards every 2 months.

If you can't find the answers on thier web site I would put a call into thier 1800 #...

Take care!

Chari
will do, thanks. :)

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mulder said:
Water is the best, but I know its tough to get kids to drink water as their primary source of fluids.
tell me about it....but the way we solved this was to buy bottled water by the case. Both Emily and Jake drink 2 or 3 16 oz bottles a day this way instead of drinking it from a cup. Dont know why but they just like the bottles instead so as long as they'll drink it, i'll buy it!

I'm also thinking about buying a water cooler because I think they'd drink from that too. We cant drink our well water here because its got too many minerals and there is a slight sulfer taste to it that no one likes so I usually buy spring water in the gallon jugs for drinking. Its an awful thing to have to buy water in this day and age! Carl freaked when the well was drilled because he told the guys to go exactly 22 feet and no further. Every other neighbor hit a good water vein between 20-25 feet. These guys came and drilled 35 feet (they get paid by the foot of course :rolleyes: ) and we ended up with lousy tasting water while neighbors on each side of us have clear tasting water from their wells. But what can you do...the drillers insisted that there was no water at 22 feet. So we are stuck with crappola for water unless we want to have a new well drilled.

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
gbrumb said:
And juice relates to phone problem how?
Hey--I was just trying to help my buddy val (you'll note she mentioned sending Carl out for juice for the baby in her first post) because many parents still do not know unfortunately that juice for children is NOT healthy (at least no more than a glass a day). Your natural reaction is to want to give them juice--it used to be the No. 1 drink for kids for parents who were concerned and not wanting to give them soda.

As I said--when my children were young, they had lots of juice because out pediatricians never clued us in--either they didn't know at that time or like many pediatricians, aren't that concerned with nutrition.

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gbrumb said:
Something just occurred to me. You may have to set up voice mail before the phone will allow calls through.
I did set up our voicemail on both phones and everything seems to work fine now so I guess you win the prize for guessing the problem. :):up:

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mulder said:
Hey--I was just trying to help my buddy val (you'll note she mentioned sending Carl out for juice for the baby in her first post) because many parents still do not know unfortunately that juice for children is NOT healthy (at least no more than a glass a day). Your natural reaction is to want to give them juice--it used to be the No. 1 drink for kids for parents who were concerned and not wanting to give them soda.

As I said--when my children were young, they had lots of juice because out pediatricians never clued us in--either they didn't know at that time or like many pediatricians, aren't that concerned with nutrition.
Got him down to half and half juice now. :up: He's totally addicted to it. I dont know how I let it happen but I did, and I knew better too. :( It was just easier to give him something that he liked to ease the transition fom weaning. I'll let him go another week on the 50/50 solution and then water it down some more. Once he's used to drinking straight water, we'll get rid of that bottle.

Then I guess that means he is all grown up once he gives up his babas for good. :(

Oh but we have talking to look forward to yet! :)

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
valley said:
I did set up our voicemail on both phones and everything seems to work fine now so I guess you win the prize for guessing the problem. :):up:
Well actually I didn't guess the problem, I suggested a possible solution. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.