Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TP Link WR541G wireless router

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hello, I have managed to get the wireless portion of my router working for the two wireless laptops in my house (one is Win XP, the other Linux) and am now trying to connect via rj45 ports + ethernet cat5e cable, my router and desktop computer that is running Windows XP. My connection type, set when I setup my wireless router, is pppoe. I have my router connected to a SpeedStream Modem, my ISP is Bell.
I am worried that I will have to purchase a hub/switch in order to allow the desktop (PC3) to access the internet, although it seems to me (from reading other internet postings) that what I am attempting to do should work with just the modem+router setup that I have.
I haven't worked with Windows LAN networks before (wired, not wireless) I have only dealt with my laptop's wireless internet connections and it seems much simpler to deal with than wired lan connections.

If somebody could direct me to the proper wizard in windows, with the proper responses to it's questions, or provide me some other kind of help, this would be much appreciated. I feel like I have gone through all of the network setup + internet connection wizards with every option, with no success, although I may be missing something. ( I AM missing something :eek: )

I hope I have given enough information.

See less See more
#2 ·
To connect a computer to a router by ethernet you simply connect the cable. Unless you have changed something or something is defective or a non-Windows firewall is blocking it just works. No fuss, no muss. :)

For the problem PC please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.