Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent several hours trying to fix this problem, as well as several pounds on a £1 per minute vigirn support hotline.

I am trying to connect a TP-Link TL-WR541G wireless router to my virgin BB connection so it can be used with the 4 laptops in our student house as well as the playstation3 and it simply refuses to work.

Laptop

I dont think its a problem with my windows Vista fujitsu siemens laptop, i can pick up my bt wireless broadband connection at home as well as my girlfriends virgin bb in her house.

Router

The router is brand new and i would be surprised if it has a problem although i took it over and tried it on a different virgin connection and it didnt work on it. I have read the manual and communincated with the router with a lan cable and "set it up" which i done through dynamic IP as opposed to static or ppoe. i was advised to disable all security which i have done and the last piece of tech advice i got was to run a ping through the ms dos which read.

pinging 192.168.100.1

pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32bytes of data

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

ping statistics for 192.168.100.1

Packets: Sent=4, Recieved = 0, loss = 4 (100% loss)

I have know idea why he was asking me to do this but maybe someone can spread some light on it?

Connection

Next up is the internet connection which is fine as we can get a cabled connection through the PS3 and 2 of the laptops, for whatever reason mine will not connect through the lan port to the internet, not sure if this is important. Its also important to add that the other laptops are dell one xp one vista. Mine runs with Vista.

Error messages
ok to cut it short in vista there is a network and sharing centre. i go into it and there is three icons: router--------------laptop---------X--------Internet

line between router + laptop is green.

so i click on the X between laptop and internet and it automatically tries to repair the problem then it gives an error message saying i have a DNS problem and should connect my ip. even though i have contacted them and they have not made any reccomendations.

As you can see i have had fun trying to solve this problem im thinking i am safer off just sending it back to where i got it and getting a different router but i wonder if i will have the same problems. is this repairable?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Did you confirm the wan settings with the tech? Very important they are correct.

When the internet line was put it was there a computer connected to it at that time with no router?

If so your connection may have been serialized by the isp. This is done by the isp by noting the mac address of the connected pc.

If this was the case you would not get the wan interface working [even with all correct settings] until you clone that pcs mac address to the wan interface. Routers usually have a 'clone mac address button' or a manual entry place. If using the 'clone' button you need that registered pc connected [only connection] to the router so it can clone that pcs mac address.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest i was on my mobile and my credit ran out (why wouldnt it at £1 per min) but yes there was a laptop connected to it before the router was even bought. do you think this is what has happened? Do you think the tech guy may have went on to tell me to do this? on a side note would there be any reason for the internet not working with the cable on my laptop?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
was your laptop the one connected at the time of the installation? If not it explains it perfectly.

Most ISP support will not support your privately owned router. Only reason you got anything was because you were paying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.