Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i need some help :)

Overview:

I had a toshiba satellite laptop, but got a new eurocom one.
I cloned the hard drive of my toshiba to my eurocom.
Toshiba Power Management was on my toshiba laptop.
My eurocom laptop now has Toshiba Power Management.
Toshiba Power Management does not work on my eurocom (Error: "The policy of NoteBook load fail.").
Toshiba Power Management overrides Power Options.
Toshiba Power Management seems to be stuck on my laptop, no matter what i do.
Result: I cannot change my power options on my new laptop.

My Commentary

Yes, i now know that it is NOT wise to clone a hard drive to a different brand of computers... but it is too late for that. I can deal with all of the other messy things that comes with it, but i would really really like to be able to edit my power options.

I have posted in many other forums, and i generally get either no answer, an answer of "you shouldn't have done that," or and answer of "you should probably start from scratch." I agree; i shouldn't have done that, and i should probably start from scratch. However, i firmly believe that there is a way to get rid of toshiba power managment without starting from scratch. For this, i come to you.

What i've done so far:

I used Add/Remove programs to uninstall the thing.
-First i tried to do it in safe mode, but it complained that it couldn't find the uninstaller and that going out of safe mode might enable it again.
-Went and tried to do it in normal mode. Uninstallation halted a few seconds in and told me that i didn't have permission to delete a certain service (CeEPwrSvc). I recognized the thing from the services tab of msconfig, so i went there and removed it from startup.
-I restarted my computer and tried to use Add/Remove programs again--it worked so fast i didn't realize what happened and only after being unable to find it on the add/remove programs list did i realize this.

So i was happy and all good until i tried to use the XP power managment... It turns out that that Toshiba Power Management can't be found in the add/remove programs list or in the registry, but is still on my computer and in the control panel! I thought i was rid of it, but no... the thing just hid itself from my computer's eyes.

I have called Toshiba, but they won't help me. "It's not on a Toshiba laptop, so we can't help you." (Well thanks, but it's your program!). Anyway, they are of no help.

Conclusion:

I come to you in hopes that you will bring forth a miracle and help me rid my computer of the menace. Of course, it works great... until it's not on a toshiba...

If you need any more info, just ask. You can see my specs in my profile.

Cheers,
Unislash

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Suppose you realise you're now running what amounts to an an illegal copy of Windows on the new laptop?
That copy of Windows is an OEM version for Toshiba PCs only as I'm sure you must know.
Not legally transferable to another PC. Hope for your sake you didn't give too many personal details to Toshiba when you contacted them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? No, i didn't know that. Toshiba has all of my information, and i called them about this at least 3 months ago and haven't gotten anything from them about illegal usage. If i'd have known that it was illegal i wouldn't have done it. I just didn't want to loose all of my game saves and carefully attuned settings preferences on around 50 different programs--or have to set up my CVS and SVN repositories again (game developing). I also didn't know that it would copy the OS or any drivers from the toshiba laptop.

Anyway, i did read that warning message when i was posting this thread about illegal stuff. As you have deemed my problem to be dealing with illegal activities, i would understand (although be saddened) if you locked my thread. However, as toshiba hasn't moved a finger about it (i would have been extremely surprised to find out that way that cloning a hard drive is illegal), i could also see you helping me out with this problem.

I still have my Toshiba laptop, and, quite frankly, Toshiba Power Management is a hassle on there too. If dealing with my eurocom laptop is a big deal, then how about with my Toshiba?

Cheers,
Unislash

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Quote: "I also didn't know that it would copy the OS or any drivers from the toshiba laptop."

Well if you cloned the drive from your Toshiba on to the new laptop, that's exactly what happens -- the OS and all the drivers from the Toshiba get transferred to the Eurocom one. That's the whole point of cloning by definition. The Eurocom must have come with Windows already on it if you bought it retail -- using that copy of Windows on it keeps it legal, but not using a copy from another PC.

I imagine Toshiba never challenged you about it because it's a matter for Microsoft, not them.

I do not have anything else to contribute to this thread, but I don't have the necessary credentials to close it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yea it had Windows on it (Windows XP Home Edition--like my toshiba). I didn't realize Toshiba had their own edition of Windows, but i guess it makes sense. What about getting TPM off of my Toshiba laptop then?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey All,

Well, i was a bit dissapointed when you guys wouldn't help me getting this bugger off of my Eurocom laptop in this thread, but the thing is still on my original Toshiba!

I have already:

-Gone into add/remove programs and uninstalled the thing (restarted multiple times afterwards)
-Searched the internet for hours for any way to delete it
-Gone safe-mode on the thing and still failed to delete it
-Went to c:\program files\toshiba\power management and deleted the files there (which were SUPPOSED to be deleted by the add/remove programs)
-Gone into the registry (since i've already checked my hard drive and this is the last place i know to check) and searched it for anything toshiba power management. Nothing is there.

And yet, the thing still won't let me use my normal power management utility and it didn't even work in the first place--my computer overheats when it is propped up at a 40 degree angle and on the lowest settings (it used to be better than this--i could get it working for a while on higher settings for a few hours--but hey, that's what you get for using toshiba power management).

The bottom line is i need the thing off my laptop.

I certainly hope that you guys will help me.

Cheers,
Unislash

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Illegal? There are a lot of armchair legal experts here who offer legal advice worth about as much as what they spent on their law degrees.

You bought two copies of Windows XP and you are running two copies of Windows XP. I don't think the software police are interested and neither is Microsoft.

But, I think you need help from someone who is a Windows Registry expert and, although I do edit the registry and delete lines occasionally with reckless abandon and seldom get into trouble doing it, I am not a registry expert.

At least you know now where you have to go to fix the problem.

I would start by finding the file path to the program. I would run REGEDIT and delete every line in the registry that contains that file path.

WARNING: Editing the registry can disable your OS entirely and this information is offered without warranty or responsibility for your result.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I've merged your threads, please don't start new threads on the same issue.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I suggest you install the proper version of Windows that matches the laptop, problem solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JohnWill said:
I've merged your threads, please don't start new threads on the same issue.
Ah, my bad. I thought that the 5 months of waiting and deciding against double posting on a thread that seemed to be deemed against the rules by each reply would constitute another thread. Anyway, no problem--thanks for the merge.

As the registry expert hasn't come by this thread, i can't reply much more than "yes, the registry expert putting a few lines here would be great" to Alex Ethridge's reply. Thanks for deeming my situation legal, btw ;).

JohnWill said:
I suggest you install the proper version of Windows that matches the laptop, problem solved.
I'm all up for doing this, but will i have to do something like wipe my hard drive, etc to reinstall windows? My development friends are telling me to wipe it, partitian it for linux/windows, and reinstall windows followed by debain (they are pro-linux, obviously :p). If i do have to wipe my hard drive, is there any way other than reinstalling windows? I'll do it, but i'd rather not have to.

Cheers,
Unislash

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, if you want Linux, then install Linux. OTOH, if you don't really want Linux, it would be foolish to install it, no?

As to the possibility of doing something besides re-installing Windows, there probably is. You have to ask yourself if you are willing to continue the quest indefinitely or bite the bullet and simply do an install. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Linux is a whole different story :p. Lets focus on taking out this program and then i'll see about Linux and stuff. To answer your question (implied question, i guess :p), i'm perfectly ready to try to wrench this thing off of my computer without re-installing :). I just need some help--i've tried everything i can think of.

I don't know where to start, but here's what i'm thinking:
1) The program is gone--it is off my computer. c:\program files\toshiba\power management is deleted, so what's keeping me from using normal power management?
2) The program must have set some things for the control panel. Simply settings. These settings obviously don't need TPM to be installed to take effect. So, the question that needs answering is: How is the control panel configured--where does it keep its settings?

I think that's where to head.

Cheers,
Unislash

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,

Still having the problem. As the registry expert hasn't come along, may I ask who he is so that I can PM him and call his attention?

If anyone has any other leads, please, post them :)

Cheers,
Unislash

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a Toshiba, however, I haven't mirrored my hard drive. I've had my Toshia for almost two years and just recently reset my notebook back to the manufacturer's settings to get rid some bugs and to start fresh. Unfortunately, the Toshiba Power Management is so annoying and there are no options available to make another program (i.e. Windows) the default power manager.

So if there is any information that i you can help us with, it would help greatly. It's bad enough that Toshiba has a class action suit because that model (A75-209) and many others, but it barely works, now this!

Please Help,
~nM

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
FWIW, I had odd issues with a Toshiba last year, and I went and downloaded the power management and re-installed, and it started working properly. Just a thought...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not sure if you got this problem fixed yet, but try this and see if it helps..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://209.167.114.38/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-TSB001051.htm

1. Turn the computer OFF by clicking Start, then Shut Down.

2. Turn the computer ON, while tapping the F8 key repeatedly. A menu of startup options should appear. If the menu does not appear, try shutting down and restarting again, tapping the F8 key until the startup menu appears.

3. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.

4. If you see a setting for "Switch to Classic View" at the left side of Control Panel, select it.

5. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.

6. From the "Currently installed software" list, select and then click the Change/Remove button for whichever of the following utility programs are present. The list of utilities will vary from model to model.

Toshiba Tbiosdrv Driver
Toshiba Utilities
Toshiba Power Saver
Toshiba Common Modules

7. Close the Add or Remove Programs window.

8. Double-click on the System icon in Control Panel. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.

9. In the menu bar, click View. If there is no checkmark to the left of the Show Hidden Devices menu item, then click it. A checkmark should then appear.

10. Locate the Toshiba Logical Device entry. Select each of its sub-entries in turn, and then press the Delete key to uninstall that sub-entry. The list of items will vary from model to model, but typical entries include the following:

Toshiba ACPI-Compliant Value Added Local Device
Toshiba ACPI-Compliant Value Added Local Device Extension
Toshiba Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kalisun said:
Not sure if you got this problem fixed yet, but try this and see if it helps..
Nope, haven't gotten it fixed yet; i've just been dealing with it.

1. Turn the computer OFF by clicking Start, then Shut Down.

2. Turn the computer ON, while tapping the F8 key repeatedly. A menu of startup options should appear. If the menu does not appear, try shutting down and restarting again, tapping the F8 key until the startup menu appears.
It appears they want me to run it in safe mode, but they never specified *which* option to pick. Good job toshiba :p.

3. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.

4. If you see a setting for "Switch to Classic View" at the left side of Control Panel, select it.

5. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.

6. From the "Currently installed software" list, select and then click the Change/Remove button for whichever of the following utility programs are present. The list of utilities will vary from model to model.

Toshiba Tbiosdrv Driver
Toshiba Utilities
Toshiba Power Saver
Toshiba Common Modules

7. Close the Add or Remove Programs window.
Already did this quite a long time ago. They are gone, but the bugger isn't. Hopefully this next few steps will finish the job.

8. Double-click on the System icon in Control Panel. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.

9. In the menu bar, click View. If there is no checkmark to the left of the Show Hidden Devices menu item, then click it. A checkmark should then appear.

10. Locate the Toshiba Logical Device entry. Select each of its sub-entries in turn, and then press the Delete key to uninstall that sub-entry. The list of items will vary from model to model, but typical entries include the following:

Toshiba ACPI-Compliant Value Added Local Device
Toshiba ACPI-Compliant Value Added Local Device Extension
Toshiba Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device
Uhm... the only thing "toshiba" that i see with "show hidden" selected is "Toshiba Network Device Usermode I/O Protocol". I've checked the rest of the device manager entries/sub-entries and haven't seen anything "Toshiba", but here is an image:

kalisun said:
Hope this helped!
Well, slightly :). Now i suspect that it has its roots in the device manager. Thanks for the effort so far :). If you find anything else (that is different), don't hesitate to put it up--or if you have ideas.

Cheers,
Unislash

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.