Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a brand new Toshiba Portege R705-P35 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; I got it just over a week ago. The last couple days, I have been noticing that my headphones are getting intermittant connections. I have a pair of Grado SR80I's as well as a set of SR225I's. I plugged the SR225I's into the Portege with a 1/4" to 1/8" takedown adapter and I think that is what caused the problem.
My concern is: if a couple of hours of having those cans connected to my computer is enough to pull on the circuit board (?) enough to cause a problem, how strong is the headphone jack built overall? I am blind, and I use my computer (with screen-reading software) with headphones almost exclusively. I plug and unplug my headphones several times a day, and I take care not to pull on the headphone chord whenever possible. If I am already having problems, I am concerned about the durability of the jack over a long period of time.
I have thought about doing one of three things, all of which include never plugging a straight 1/4" to 1/8" takedown adapter in:
1. Exchange the laptop at BestBuy, explain the situation, and hoping for the best.
2. Exchanging the laptop, then paying to have a stronger headphone jack installed --probably by a third party--if one is made. (I noticed the AC power jack is metal but the headphone/microphone jacks are plastic.)
3. Returning the laptop and buying a Dell XPS 14, which is the other laptop I was considering because of the MaxxAudio technology.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
255 Posts
You might not be able to have a better jack installed onto the motherboard, because they are engineered to such tight tolerances, and the existing jack is usually a fairly thin part made of plastic.

One option would be to have a shop solder jumpers to the board, and bring a better jack to the outside of the laptop. The jumpers would have to be secured to the shell in such a way as to prevent pulling on the mainboard.

There is another option. You could purchase a set of speakers which have a headset convenience jack, leave those speakers plugged in to the laptop, and plug the headphones into the speaker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.