Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out on 3.1 upgraded to 95 then later upgraded to 98 then I went out and bought a full version of ME. I decided I liked clean installing alot better than upgrading. I upgrade my own computer as needed motherboard here harddrive there. So if I upgrade to xp am I going to have to call microsoft everytime I clean install or upgrade my computer??? (this is what I've heard) Well give me the in and out's, bugs, bad habits, good habits, or anything else you can think of. I would love to switch to a new and improved windows but I don't want to shell out the cash everytime I upgrade my motherboard. Well tell me what ya think I'll be waiting......Thanks for any and all reply's!! (If I do buy xp it will be a full version...no more upgrading for me)

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
the only difference between an upgrade disk and a full version is the upgrade will ask you to insert your previous op. sys. disk,to verify that you are entitled to the upgrade.
you have to upgrade a number of components at the same time,before being asked to reactivate.
once you have xp up and running properley you will think the earlier sys. came out of the ark.
xp is ram hungry recommend 512mg

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
If you like spending lots of money on an OS you don't need then meekly asking Micro$oft if you can use it like, "mother, may I?" then by all means get a full version of XPee.

If you don't want the headaches and BSOD's of W9x OS's then hunt down a copy of W2K. By far the best Windows OS ever and probably the last "free" one. What I can't understand is why some people with W2K would buy XPee. Why would somebody replace a perfectly good OS? Windows 2000 = Windows XPee minus the BullS**t.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Still using good old 98SE -- stable, easy to use, with minimal bugginess that XP has.
You hear about XP being easy to use, bug-free.... If so, why so many questions regarding problems with the OS--and they're not all the operator instead of the program causing the problem.
I gather, ALL drivers for any game, or hadware have to be specifically for XP only, and less than 1 year old. Also XP does not have DOS, and far as I know, DOS programs won't run with it.

No, I'm sticking with 98SE long as I can. When I bought this computer, the Tech at the store recommended installing 98SE instead of XP.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good just as I thought. I gonna try to look for a copy of 98se or w2k for sale on the net can any of you guys reccomend a good place to buy either of the versions?

·
Super Moderator
46,549 Posts
I use both os both at home and at work [at work we still have a few boxes with the dreaded win9x] my preference is for win2k. I do not like the cartoon look of xp even in classic view.

As to reactivating xp, yes most times a change of mb will require product activation. MS is actually pretty easy to do this with. The times I have done it for people, you just call a toll-free number and talk to a support person. Tell them why you have to reactivate and they give you an activation code.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I also have 2000 Pro and XP Pro, I kinda like the XP Pro for the extra's ease of use and just general quickness. The 2000 machine is as usual pretty stable and always works well kind of the classic looking windows if you will
Like em Both
Peter

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Bugginess? XP? I've been running XP with SP2 Beta now for 6 days doing my normal stuff, and I have to admit, apart from 1 minor issue with removing the newly installed firewall, It has been incredibly stable

XP does take a bit of getting used to, and I have to be honest, I was a little apprehensive about moving to XP from 98, 18 months ago.

I initially loading it as a dual boot, even used the classic interface to start off with. However, the dual boot was soon removed, the XP themes turned on and I can honestly say I am ever so glad I made the switch

As for activation you can back up your activation key to a floppy disk and put back IF you ever had to re-install

Don't forget that Windows 98 support is due to finish soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.