Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
boring,boring, boring! (hit neil over the head at this point).

has civ-deb become nothing more than a tremendously boring hotbed of political wannabe pundits?

It appears so.

Has no one anything original to post? Or am I merely living a pipe dream?

or I am just too ambivalent about politics?

*hint - it's not option b*

and before anyone asks me to point the finger of judgment at myself, I ask thee to look upon my none to frequent threads I actually start in this forum. :)

peace. and for God's sake, free thinking.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
peace. and for God's sake, free thinking.
hear, hear, Tim :up:
but the truth is, people post to the junk that holds 'em.....and i, for one, am actually happy that there's been some folks here willing to discuss the health care paradox......

still.......

i offer up this, posted by Tom in the evo thread, as one interesting topic
Conway Morris takes this idea a step further. He suggests that such structural causation might occur not just in physics but in biology. This is a gamble, since biology is more complex than physics or chemistry. In physics or chemistry, you can make solid predictions from a limited set of data and laws. Biology is a lot messier. With the emergence of life, organisms that arose from physics and chemistry begin to operate according to new patterns. Functional explanations replace chemical ones. You can't assume that an underlying order constrains biological evolution in the same way that the underlying order of chemistry constrains phase changes. But Conway Morris suggests, based on evolutionary convergence, that to some extent it does.
If he's right, two much bigger questions start to become serious. One is how far this architecture of the universe extends. If it influences developments at the chemical and biological levels, does it extend to the next level of complexity, the mind? How about the level beyond that, society? Are there mental and cultural laws? Does some pre-existing order favor, and thereby produce by adaptation or selection, certain kinds of cultural development?
but i'd guess it fall dead down dead, crushed by its own weight :D

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
It's not a pipe dream and you've pretty much nailed it. I log in at night and what do I see? The first ten threads all have as the last post from Poochee and each one is a cut and paste of a news article. Who needs a web feed when you have Poochee, whether you like it or not. ;)

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
It's not a pipe dream and you've pretty much nailed it. I log in at night and what do I see? The first ten threads all have as the last post from Poochee and each one is a cut and paste of a news article. Who needs a web feed when you have Poochee, whether you like it or not. ;)
but i'm thinkin that your criticism is eggsactly what makes it a pipe dream....ain't it?
there's only a handful -minus a coupla fingers- who'll grab onto a topic that'll hold me for a couple of weeks.....

we are odd ducks in this pond :(

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
exactly my point. Exactly.

Look at what we got; theology,sociology, the arts, the possibilities are endless.

yet all we talk about (or rather, all everyone ELSE talks about) is politics.

bloody boring.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Look at what we got; theology,sociology, the arts, the possibilities are endless.

bloody boring.
Well if politics excites you then it's not so boring. By way of example, because of where I live, I was talking with Newt Gingrich the other day and the day before that, George Will (have to admit we talked baseball....Nats, Orioles etc). I've introduced myself to Micheal Steele and many others. Running into senators and congresspersons is not a big deal in Washington.

That said, you're right they tend to be boring so why would a dicussion of politics here be any less so?

·
Super Moderator
13,114 Posts

bloody boring.
As far as Theology goes, I can't get you off the fence. :p:D

Ok, there is enough evidence that several of the current hitters in baseball did Steroids. I think they should have any record that they broke stripped from them, by having a star next to their name. Will it ever happen?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Ok, there is enough evidence that several of the current hitters in baseball did Steroids. I think they should have any record that they broke stripped from them, by having a star next to their name. Will it ever happen?
Yeah, so why did they have to have Congressional hearings about it? Does steroid use by professional nimrods merit the time and attention of our elected nimrods? We have a recession and 10% unemployment and the elected nimrods are asking Barry Bonds dumbarse questions. Can someone please explain to me why we give a crap?

See, everything comes back to politics.
:D

·
Super Moderator
13,114 Posts
Yeah, so why did they have to have Congressional hearings about it? Does steroid use by professional nimrods merit the time and attention of our elected nimrods? We have a recession and 10% unemployment and the elected nimrods are asking Barry Bonds dumbarse questions. Can someone please explain to me why we give a crap?

See, everything comes back to politics.
:D
I agree 100%. Why did Washington get involved? They had no business.

It's simple. We vote, and if the majority of america agrees, they have a note next to their name.

Everything comes back to politics, because politics is getting involved with everything.:)

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
This thread is boring. :D

Without a constant barrage of news stories to cut and crap here, I expect it to be short-lived. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
was wondering where you had gotten off to. :)

Glad to hear that I am not the only one that thinks civ-deb is cratering, and in a way not seen since Windows ME.

too much to think about.

what happened to formulating your own opinion instead of regurgitating what has been stuffed down your craw?

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if politics excites you then it's not so boring. By way of example, because of where I live, I was talking with Newt Gingrich the other day and the day before that, George Will (have to admit we talked baseball....Nats, Orioles etc). I've introduced myself to Micheal Steele and many others. Running into senators and congresspersons is not a big deal in Washington.

That said, you're right they tend to be boring so why would a dicussion of politics here be any less so?
guess what.

Politics bores the snot out of me. Newt Gingrich? How did some dolt named after a very minor class of lizard get to be the hot topic?

please. don't feed me that crap. :)

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This thread is boring. :D

Without a constant barrage of news stories to cut and crap here, I expect it to be short-lived. :cool:
:)

You know your way to the door.

Please don't let it hit you on the patoot on the way out.

WRT to the steroids era, I think it's nice that the home run ball is in the HOF, replete with asterisk, and I will flat out guarantee that Bonds will never make it there.

·
Super Moderator
13,114 Posts
guess what.

Politics bores the snot out of me. Newt Gingrich? How did some dolt named after a very minor class of lizard get to be the hot topic?

please. don't feed me that crap. :)
:D:p

Goodness, I feel like a Court Jester trying to entertain the King, here.:p:D:D

Newt Gingrich is a fairly brilliant Historian. He has some cool historical stuff.

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as Theology goes, I can't get you off the fence. :p:D
what is this fence of which you speak?

I've clearly stated my beliefs, and anyone who actually can research me will find out even more.

I know your theological views, and of course I don't agree with them. that's the magic of theology. We all have our own belief system, and debating them and arguing them are two entirely different things.

To quote Carlin,

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more.

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D:p

Goodness, I feel like a Court Jester trying to entertain the King, here.:p:D:D

Newt Gingrich is a fairly brilliant Historian. He has some cool historical stuff.
You want to trust some dude named after a lizard, be my guest. I'll take Carville,thank you very much. :)

and yes, carville would have gingrich for lunch. Maybe even an appetizer.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
WRT to the steroids era, I think it's nice that the home run ball is in the HOF, replete with asterisk, and I will flat out guarantee that Bonds will never make it there.
Why single out Bonds? Why was gambling worse than cheating?

It would be easier to wipe all records for the past twenty or so years and find the few that didn't take Steroids.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
It's black and white - good or evil world to people of faith. ;)

I've clearly stated my beliefs, and anyone who actually can research me will find out even more.
Why would I care enough to do research? :D I believe you. :up:

·
Super Moderator
13,114 Posts
You want to trust some dude named after a lizard, be my guest. I'll take Carville,thank you very much. :)

and yes, carville would have gingrich for lunch. Maybe even an appetizer.
Hmmm.... I'll take you up on that bet, any day.

Carville is more entertaining, but Gingrich would have him for a snack.

Carville just spews out the same old krap that makes up the Dems playbook. It's so boring; they can never have an original thought.

·
Super Moderator
13,114 Posts
That's a lovely, narcissistic quote by Carlin. :rolleyes:

I know your theological views, and of course I don't agree with them. that's the magic of theology. We all have our own belief system, and debating them and arguing them are two entirely different things.
That's my point, you don't agree with them. If I remember correctly, you didn't want to say there is no God, but... you don't want to acknowledge there is a God. That to me is riding the fence. :D

What is there to debate? You either believe, or you don't.:)

1 - 20 of 173 Posts