Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any free software available that I can download to keep track of my work hours? Just a simple program where I can input 'time in' and 'time out' and have it add up total hours worked for the day/week. I've been searching freeware sites for some time and I'm not coming up with anything.

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
How about a spreadsheet, that's how I track my consulting hours. It's trivial to create a sheet that will automatically add up the hours, and even categorize them by job.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.....didn't think about that! I've done very little with spreadsheets. I assume this can be done with my WordPerfect? I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Well, not really with WordPerfect, since that's a document editor. However, I think the WordPerfect suite comes with a spreadsheet.

If you don't have a spreadsheet, an excellent office suite that's free is OpenOffice, and it has an fine spreadsheet application.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeez! I checked it out and fiddled around with it and it's all 'geek to me'!! I'll have to take the time to learn how to do a spreadsheet and I don't have the time right now or any time soon. I'll just keep searching for a freeware and try to do the other some other time. Thank you!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK! I've got the spreadsheet going but the calculation is coming out wrong--I think. I'm entering my time in military time like they do at work. My formula is 'time out' (lunch) minus 'time in' (start time). Then 'time out' (end of day) minus 'time in' (back from lunch).
(( in= 1056/out=1414. Total=358. in=1444/out=1920. Total=476. Then, 476 plus 358=834!!)) When actual time is 7 hours and 54 mintues. What did I do wrong?

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I think you'd need to post the actual calculations. I just did this in Excel. The computation in the total column is: =(B2-A2)+(D2-C2)

When I change the start and end times, it all works for me.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I don't know how your spreadsheed deals with times, perhaps you need to specify the cells are in time format? Excel figured it out from the entry format, all I did was type them in. I did have to tell it the total was in 24 hour time format.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,935 Posts
That is how we did our TimeSheets when I worked at Greatland. We had an Excel spreadsheet. I could send it to you if I can find it on my computer somewhere. But I think I just had it on my Thumbdrive and erased because I don't work there anymore.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright--YAY!!! I figured out the formula!! NOW! How do I copy/paste that formula to work in the TOTAL columns beneath the first one??????

·
Registered
886 Posts
iluvtolaff said:
Alright--YAY!!! I figured out the formula!! NOW! How do I copy/paste that formula to work in the TOTAL columns beneath the first one??????
In OpenOffice I just highlight the portion I want to copy- drag down to highlight the number of rows I want the formula copied to- then goto Edit>Fill>Down.

The result is the number of rows of the formula adjusted by the spreadsheet to use the appropriate cells (rather than always referring to the original cells). Whether you want one row or 100 rows-- it's just that easy.

Congratulations on figuring out your first formula!
letchworth

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got it. EXCEPT--in the last 'TOTAL' column, the totals don't come out right and I formatted it exactly the same as the other 2 'total' columns!! I'm going to try to attach it and see if anyone can figure it out! Crap! Upload of file failed!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
iluvtolaff said:
I formatted it exactly the same as the other 2 'total' columns!!
That's the problem. Once you get beyond a certain number of hours the standard HH:MM format starts over again. Check your options for time format (In OpenOffice Calc it is referred to as 876613:37:46.

Right click on your totals cell and select "Format Cells"--- if you select time, you will be given many options. If you are using OpenOffice (v. 2.0.2) that will be one of them.

Here is an abbreviated time card:
I like blank spaces (& someone on this forum showed me how to do them). They keep my eyes from going buggy.
The appropriate formulas are:
D2:___ =IF(C2<>"";SUM(C2-B2);"")
G2:___ =IF(F3<>"";SUM(F3-E3);"")
H2:___ =IF((D2="")AND(G2="");"";D2+G2)

good luck,
letchworth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.