Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone has a Dell GX620 box and when they put a thumb drive into the box it does not show up. You hear a little ding as if it is being recognized but nothing happens. I do not see any yellow marks in the device manager. When I took the same thumb drive and put it into another box it shows up. Any ideas what could be wrong with the box?

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
what are the drives labelled? If they have a network drive labelled as the next logical drive letter, it won't show up. I had that recently, someone had mapped 'f' as a network drive, and d and e were cd and dvd drive, respectively, so that left no place for teh usb to go. Remapped the f network map to h or something like that, usb popped right up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting...I know our company has the F drive mapped to the network. People flip out here easily when you remap there F drive to any other letters. I will try your solution next time I encounter it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
keep me informed. If you do have that f drive mapped, and they have a cd and a dvd player, betcha that's the problem.

You can manually go into disk management (right click my computer > manage > disk management) and reassign the usb key an unused letter, but it will NOT hold; once you take the disk out, and put it back in, it will try to find the first logical drive letter after the last physical drive.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
One issue with networks and mapped drives is sometimes they don't leave any drive letters for additional local devices. In that case, an PnP drive insertion fails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.