Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P4 3.4 and a ASUS P5GV-MX mobo with 2 gigs of DDR 400, ATI X1950 Pro 256 PCI-Ex16 and I like gaming. It has worked pretty well until I played the COD4 demo. I got such low FPS, like 8-15 when action became high. So I thought that I was going to be very happy with buying a high end card for gaming and went ahead and ordered a XFX 8800GTS (G92) 512 PCI-Ex16 card. Well my new card has not arrived yet and I was just in my Catalyst Control Center and noticed that the x16 bus is only running at x4 . I was very alarmed so I went to the ASUS website and found that the board I have has a x16 bus in x4 mode. I really feel stupid for not realizing this before I spent so much on a card that can't be used to it's full potential with the mobo I have! I wonder if I can still install it and it will give me good enough FPS to play COD4 until I can afford to upgrade CPU, mobo and ram? :(

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=793&l1=3&l2=11&l3=237

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
the x4 isnt going to make a huge amount of difference, to be honest. You have a 2 year old mobo, running DDR and a 3.4Ghz CPU. Between them theres not a lot of power for todays games. They demand a huge input from your system, more than most peoples are really up to. So yes, the card will help, but it will be other components that limit how fast the game runs :)

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
That board does not support the C2D cpus. If you are serious about gaming, I would look into getting a quality board and a 6850 or faster cpu. Note you will need new memory as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.