Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gone but always remembered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I lost, for reasons of inactivity, a long-standing Hushmail account. I thought of it as my 'junk' e-mail account - if I needed to give an email address but wanted to protect my main ISP one I would use it. I had it seven years and the loss was my own fault. By way of a change, and since Hushmail was restrictive in several ways (storage and so on), I signed-up for Windows Live (Hotmail). Glitchy to begin with it settled down - until quite recently. I recall reading an article (don't ask me where!) that Microsoft was having problems with it but was claiming these were solved. I experienced none of those problems.

But about three weeks ago a problem arose for me which today has driven me to abandon the service. An attached gif shows what happened a few seconds after logging-on. The list of folders would disappear. And never re-appeared in the session.

Then this article appeared on the 28th Feb. here.

I have also read that Microsoft purchased Hotmail. A bafflement to me since MSN stands for Microsoft Network. It was originally MSN Hotmail, wasn't it?

Now I see the thread here about Microsoft and Yahoo. And in this mix is Google - somewhere, somehow. Gmail is Google isn't it? I suppose this is all going in only one direction; and, since we have had a marvelously free-run with this relatively baby-like WWW and e-mailing, I guess the free e-mail of the past will become a fond memory - i.e., it will have 'stamps required' before sending. We will be paying for it. So be it or, as our Oz friends may say, "fair-go mate".

My hand-writing is so out of practice, but if shove and push meet head-on and I find my needs financial can't run to e-mail costs but can to a bunch of those (50? cent) ever-lasting stamps (perhaps just a Canadian thingy), then my skills with the pen may return in due course. I mean do you you really like love-letters typed!!??:D

So it goes, don't you think?

Ben.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Gmail are all free, so I'm not sure what your question is. The days of free e-mail certainly aren't coming to an end.

Hotmail has been provided by Microsoft for as long as I can remember, and GMail is a service offered by Google.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.