Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Thinkpad 600 from E-bay about a year ago. Everything worked
fine until a couple days ago. Now when I turn it on, I get a list of
errors 163 and 173. I took the cmos battery out and left it out
overnight. But I still can't get past the error screen. Nothing happens
when I press F1 on startup, just the error screen. I replaced the cmos
battery. Still nothing. I contacted the guy who sold me the machine,
and he said he doesn't know the password either. This happened once
before, and I pressed the space and enter keys, and it started up. But
now I can't do anything. Anoyone with any ideas. I tried some backdoor
passwords that I got off a site, but none of them work. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Error Codes for your machine.

(Time and date were not set.) 1. Set time and date.
2. System board.

(Configuration data was lost.) 1. Select OK in the error screen; then set the time and date.
2. Backup battery.
3. System board.
If replacing the battery didn't work you may have a motherboard issue as it seems your CMOS data is not being retained.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
What it is probably asking for is an administrator password. Same thing happened on my G40 thinkpad. Had to send it back to the factory to have it reset. There maybe a service center near you that may be able to do it but it is costly. Mine is under warranty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has Windows 98SE, and I don't have a floppy disk drive so I can't boot from a start up disk. I tried just about everything that is written in these forums. Ihate to trash it, but I guess I will have to. I don't have a lot of $$$ to spend on it. Thanks for all the help> I'm still here if anyone else can think of something.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Here is a link to you models Hardware maintenance Manual. Page 25 tells you how to bypass the Power-on password. hopefully thats it. If its the supervisor password the only way around it is to replace the system board.

This involves shorting the password pads on the motherboard with something like a paperclip so use at your own risk.

EDIT:
The location of the password pads can be found on the bottom view under "locations."

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.