Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For as long as I can remember, my hard drive, on start up, has breifly made a small noise, which I cannot describe - (except in the subject header...) but it has never bothered me as it has not interfered at all and stops once the windows screen appears. (I wrote it off as just being one of the many little startup sounds that my computer seems to emanate on a regular basis). Only, tonight, it happened when I attempted to save a word document. Again, it didn't interfere with anything, but it didn't give me a good feeling. What is the weird noise about? Please, it's too young to die.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If I am not mistaken, you should be able to right that off as a normal sound also. Mine makes the same noise oin startup and for a lot of other things I do also. I believe it is just the hardrive working. Have you saved that particular type of document before?

For safety and peace of mind, I would go through the process of backing everything up and saving it anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the reason why I havent regarded it as a normal sound is because it has never happened before in all the time I have had this pc. That and, it doesn't sound all that good. It's quite a loud sort of a noise and leans more towards choking than actually working properly, hehe!

Just in case, I will be doing a lot of saving this afternoon...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Backing up is always a good idea. If I were you I would go to the Manufacturer's website and download the diagnostics for that hard drive. Run them and see if they provide any information. How old is the drive? If there's a problem and it's still under warranty, you may be eligible for a replacement.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Hi Beccarae

Probably nothing to worry about. Have you deleted the temp internet files and scandisked and defragged your hard drive lately? How much free space is left on the hard drive? A little disk maintenance may be all you need. (Backing up important files as mentioned never hurts). BOL

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It wasnt mentioned that it was loud. If it is, then I side with Mosaic and Acacandy. Even if we're wrong, its less worry and potentially less problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.