Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I often get this message when trying to move or delete files. Sometimes shutting ZoneAlarm would make it stop, but not always. Like, for instance, today I tried to rename a directory I copied from a CD given to me by my friend. The directory name was in russian...

Sorry if this question is too vague, but I don't know what other useful information I can give.

Daniel.

·
Registered
335 Posts
that error means that another program is using the file you are moving or deleting. if you delete a file that a prog is using it may cause the prog not to function correctly. as long as any prog is using a file it will not let you modify it in any way

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi CJ,

(system specs below :))

Yeah, I know. But it happens even when I close ALL open windows, my firewall & my antivirus.

I checked in Regional Settings in Control Panel, and I have Cyrillic language (Russian) installed. And yet, when I try opening on my HD a directory the name of which is in Russian (copied it from a CD a friend gave me) I get no reaction. If I then try deleting it I get this merry error message.

I guess I'm asking two questions:
1. Why can't I read files the name of which is in a language other that English, even when this language is installed on my machine?
2. How can I ascertain whether any program is using a file I have a mind to delete, and if so, to learn which program it is?

Thanks,
Daniel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.