Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thank you all for takin an look at this..

I have an an computer with these features..
Compaq Presario 5WV261
750MHz AMD Duron
64MB of Memory
8MB Nvidia Graphics

Its been through a lot, and recently, its been on the fritz. The screen resolution for True Color doesnt get up to 1020x?*, it stays 640x480, no matter what I do!, and the pre-loading screen (The black screens with the flashing "_") started flashing black and blue after it got past the Windows ME trademark thing..

I've switched from DSL to Dial-Up, (worst mistake ever..), and the computer "officials put a new modem inside my computer..

It was ok.. until the suddenly the computer froze.. it came out of it, but everytime it does freeze, it gets a little worse..

Im ok with computers.. but i've never seen this before. Please, help?

(*Cant tell what the other is..)

·
Trusted Advisor
85,505 Posts
Here is the support and software site for the Compaq Presario 5WV261 desktop.

Here is the download link for the driver for that NVIDIA display adapter. You should download and install it because the current driver may have gotten corrupted.

Considering that display adapter has a measly 8 MB of video memory, you're asking too much of it to want to use 32-bit color and a resolution any higher than 800 X 600. Drop the setting to 8-bit or 16-bit color and you may be able to use a resolution of 1024 X 768.

You should also increase the RAM from its measly 64 MB to 192 - 256 MB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Trusted Advisor
85,505 Posts
From what I can determine, that desktop has 3 RAM slots in the motherboard. It supports a maximum of 768 MB of RAM. It uses PC100 or PC133 modules. Since it currently has a single 64 MB module in 1 slot and has the other 2 slots empty, I would add a 128 MB module to each of the 2 empty slots and increase the overall amount to 320 MB. That would give that desktop a nice amount of RAM for running Windows ME. :up:

Here is the MEMORYX site for modules for that desktop. I've used it and the CRUCIAL site for years for buying modules.

--------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
From what I can determine, that desktop has 3 RAM slots in the motherboard. It supports a maximum of 768 MB of RAM. It uses PC100 or PC133 modules. Since it currently has a single 64 MB module in 1 slot and has the other 2 slots empty, I would add a 128 MB module to each of the 2 empty slots and increase the overall amount to 320 MB. That would give that desktop a nice amount of RAM for running Windows ME. :up:

Here is the MEMORYX site for modules for that desktop. I've used it and the CRUCIAL site for years for buying modules.

Personally, I'd go for 256 sticks since it is supported.

I'd also pull the 64, put in the two new ones and put the third, original, in the last slot. If I put it back in at all.

Usually memory uses first slot first(on these older PCs). Why make it use two, 64 will always get used making next stick active, whereas the 256/128 will take longer being used. This will be faster.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,505 Posts
I would've been the first to suggest installing the fully-supported amount of 768 MB if Windows XP was being used or was going to be used in that computer.

Since Windows ME is currently being used, and there's no indication of an intent to upgrade to Windows XP, increasing the amount to 320 MB is plenty. It also keeps the cost factor down.

---------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I would've been the first to suggest installing the fully-supported amount of 768 MB if Windows XP was being used or was going to be used in that computer.

Since Windows ME is currently being used, and there's no indication of an intent to upgrade to Windows XP, increasing the amount to 320 MB is plenty. It also keeps the cost factor down.

---------------------------------------------------------------
:up:

I agree with keeping cost down, but I keep getting told how cheap RAM is every time I mention it about Vista.

I have XP on this machine. aside from my main OS, PCLinuxOS. As far as using XP goes, I have had 1/2GB, 1GB and finally 1.5GB on this PC. For browsing web and light use, difference between 1/2 and 1 GB is significant. The difference between 1GB and 1.5GB is not noticeable. But as soon as I start editing pics, movies etc. I am glad for the extra 1/2GB @ 1.5GB.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,505 Posts
If I had my hands on that old desktop, I'd max out the RAM to 768 MB and upgrade the video card to an ATI or NVIDIA model with 32 - 64 MB of video memory and then install XP in it. But that's me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im working on getting XP, yeah. A friend told me about it yesterday..

He said something formatting FAT32 to NTFS.. or somethin.. but I have no clue about that. Help again lol..?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Im working on getting XP, yeah. A friend told me about it yesterday..

He said something formatting FAT32 to NTFS.. or somethin.. but I have no clue about that. Help again lol..?
Worry about that when you get XP, as it isn't really a worry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.